Chapter One: A Hidden Home

The Lake District National Park. A region and national park in Cumbria in Northwest England. In this area, which measures only about 48 by 64 kilometres, there are 180 fells of more than 609 metres in altitude, one of which is 978-metre Scafell Pike, the highest mountain in England. The 1,343-square-kilometre Lake District National Park includes some of the country's largest lakes, its tallest peak, and some of its loveliest scenery in the region. A popular vacation destination, it's known for its glacial ribbon lakes, rugged fell mountains and historic literary associations. Market towns such as Kendal, Ambleside and Keswick on scenic Derwentwater, are all bases for exploring the area and home to traditional inns, galleries of local art and outdoor equipment shops.

But, what others don't know about this area, was that there's a special railway hidden within the valley of this beautiful district, one where old locomotives of an era long passed, but are under special circumstances, so they are free from the scrapyards and cutter's torches, and they perform tasks like they do during the time of steam across the country of the United Kingdom.

This railway was known as the Josephine Railway. The railway was under the protection and care of a family who shared a passion for antique locomotives and machinery, and they'll go to lengths to make sure they are in preservation and even under operation.

In the early hours of the morning, the sun rising above the horizon, there was a steam engine parked up next to a nearby water tower not far from the roundhouse, topping up his boiler and water tank in his tender for the day's work. He breathed a sigh, looking to the rising sun as it rolled along the hills in the distance.

This engine goes by the name of Braedey. He is a GWR 4900 Class 4-6-0 tender engine from the Great Western Railway. He is painted in crimson red with golden highlights and lining, while having blue eyes and fair skin. He has the GWR crest on his tender, with the words 'Great Western' in yellow writing on either side of the crest, and he has metallic black wheels and rods.

Custom-built for mix-traffic railway operations, Braedey can take both trucks and passengers, but he doesn't boast about his strength or speed

Custom-built for mix-traffic railway operations, Braedey can take both trucks and passengers, but he doesn't boast about his strength or speed. He could go as fast as the Flying Scotsman, but limited to 20mph or less below. He doesn't mind this, since he's always on time, even if he's a minute or two late. For his goods work, he is cautious whenever it's delicate loads, and with anything heavy, he hauls it with all the strength he's got, even if he bursts a piston in the process.

Braedey is a friendly and peaceful engine and friend to be around, and he could spend hours talking to anyone, if it's regarding something interesting or if it's regarding about work. However, he will assert his authority in case of turmoil and something goes wrong, and he'd even risk his own boiler and firebox for his friends, regardless if they're machine or human.

"It is days like these that makes me remember how fortunate myself and the others are to have a home like this." Braedey spoke philosophical about the beauty in the daylight. "We are fortunate to have a controller and good men and women around us who appreciate us railway locomotives, and what we have done for the world around us." He added on, a hiss of steam coming from his pistons.