Chapter Fifty-Eight: 𝗗.𝗚.𝗦.𝗦.𝗘 - The History Within

Mack is a British Rail Class 40 diesel, one who works on the North Western Railway on the Island of Sodor. He is the brother of D261 AKA Bowler, But unlike his brother Bowler, Mack is a rather friendly and nice chap. He believes steam and diesel engines are as good as one another, neither one being superior than the other. He gets along with many of the steam engines, though he does get mixed up with his twin brother. He sometimes has to soothe ruffle feathers after Bowler's proclamations and superiority complex. He handles goods and passengers, but he prefers to be on goods.

Mack has gotten along with many of the engines on Sodor, whether they'd be steam or diesel, and he could not be happier where he is right now. But unbeknown to everyone, he actually has a dark secret about his past he's not particularly fond of, especially since it got him into trouble during the Modernisation Plan of the 1950's. Ever since the incursions and attacks from the D.G.S.S.E, especially with Roderick the MetroVick and Fowler the LMS 0-4-0 Fowler, it has brought up some uncomfortable and unsettling memories to him.

~*~*~

One morning, Mack was travelling light-engine down the Brendam branchline from the docks. He is enjoying the peace of the birds chirping in the trees and the warmth of the sun against his bodywork. As he travels along the line, he looks ahead to see a red signal, and a signalman standing nearby. Mack pulls to a stop with a look of confusion on his face.

"Is there a problem, mate?" Mack's driver asked, now leaning out of the window

"Is there a problem, mate?" Mack's driver asked, now leaning out of the window. "What's going on?"

"Sir Topham Hatt has requested that Mack is to meet him at the sheds. It's a matter of importance, and it's especially regarding recent events." The signalman explained to them.

Mack now felt nervous as he rolled away for the sheds. He wondered as to what Sir Topham Hatt meant by recent events, but as he through hard, he had not done anything wrong. He still felt uncertainty and worry circulating around his cooling fans. He felt dread as he soon reached Tidmouth Sheds, and there was Sir Topham Hatt, along with a group of men in suits and with what were folders and books.

"Mack. Glad you could make it." Sir Topham greeted the Class 40 with a small smile.

"Sir, is there something wrong?" Mack asked softly. He still felt trepidation and concern.

"These gentleman are of the Railway Inspectors Unit, or R.I.U for short." Sir Topham introduced. "During their investigation regarding the D.G.S.S.E and all those that were affiliated or had relations with the group, it was discovered that your name had appeared on their roster sheet." That made Mack look very concerned. "Now, I am not to accuse you of anything Mack, but I believe that myself and these gentlemen would like to know as to how your name is on the D.G.S.S.E roster, as well as Mavis'."

"Mavis?" Mack echoed. He definitely didn't expect that.

"Yes. We found her name among the list of diesels, including that of Splatter and Dodge, plus Old Stuck Up, just to name a few." One R.I.U agent clarified to Mack. "We interviewed Mavis just yesterday and she explained to us that she defected from the group when she was forcefully aligned since she assisted a steam engine in escaping a scrapyard in 1964 before she was shipped off to Sodor."