Chapter Fifty-Seven: The Half Engine

(A/N: the idea for this chapter comes from rodimusprime215 )

It was a cool autumn evening on the island of Sodor. The sun was just beginning to set, the engines were finishing their work and returning to their sheds, just as a thick fog began to roll in.

Braedey had just finished his last train of the day, and he was heading down the mainline for home, travelling light-engine. He and his driver could hardly see a thing through the fog. As such, they didn't notice the points were directed to an old, unused track, heading off into the forest.

"Bother!" Braedey grunted, frustrated once he realised where he was. "We must've been switched down the wrong track!"

"Calm down, Braedey." His driver reassured him. "We'll go back and set it right with the signalman."

"Alright, then. Still, why doesn't Sir Topham Hatt just get rid of these old and disused... disused..." Braedey's voice trailed off as his eyes widen in horror, him now slowing down to a stop.

"Everything okay, Braedey?" His fireman asked, but as Braedey came to a stop, his crew saw what made them all pause.

There, sitting at the side of the line, sat an old scrap tender engine, rusted and long forgotten. The scrapped remains of engines from long ago was a common site on the railway, but this one was very different, and it nearly made Braedey sick right in the boiler. This scrap engine... It was cut midsagittal, cut clean straight through the middle without fault, with all of its parts still there within the dead engine; the boiler tubes, the firebox, everything. It's other half, however, was nowhere to be seen. The only thing left was it's tender, which sat there behind the rusted remains.

"What kind of sick individual would even scrap an engine like that?" The fireman asked in utter shock.

"I have no idea." The driver shook his head ominously.

"I-I-I don't want to find out! Get me out of here!!" Before his crew could stop him, Braedey reversed away as fast as his wheels can carry him!

~*~*~

At Tidmouth Sheds, the engines have all settled into their berths and were all getting ready for bed

At Tidmouth Sheds, the engines have all settled into their berths and were all getting ready for bed. Anna was there too after taking the last Josephine Flyer express of the day, and was able to stay over for the night. Lady was also there, after running her last train to Knapford.

Thomas, however, was looking out for Braedey. "Where is he? He should've been back by now."

Edward smiled in reassurance. "I'm sure he'll be here, Thomas. Braedey might've been held up by a signal or something." A moment later, the sound of an engine approaching got their attention as Braedey slowly chuffs into view onto the turntable. "Ah, speak of the devil."