Chapter Five: Working on Sodor

The next morning on Sodor, it was a bright and sunny day. The engines were well-rested and ready for the day ahead of them. Braedey felt relaxed as well, and he was more than ready for today. Plus, he'd like to see more of Sodor if he can.

"So, what's for the morning?" Braedey asked.

"Well, since I'm back in action, I'll be taking the Wild Nor' Wester. I again thank you for yesterday." Gordon said to Braedey.

"No problem with that." Braedey replied. "I guess I'm going to be on stand-by in case."

"Stand-by?" James echoed. He hadn't heard of that phrase before.

"It's something me and my team would say whenever one of us didn't have much work to do." Braedey clarified to James. "It also means we take light-tourist trains; two small coaches only, and with an amount of passengers." He added on.

"That's interesting." Edward noted. "Well, I'm sure that Sir Topham will have something for you to do."

Sure enough, Sir Topham did have some work for Braedey: he was to help out with some shunting, plus small passenger and goods runs. Braedey didn't mind this, for it did give him time to travel small distances, instead of going for miles.

Later on in the day, Braedey was making his way down towards what was the 'Little Western', also known as the Arlesburgh Branchline, a coastal line operating from Tidmouth to Arlesburgh West. He had to admit, the line was very unique, especially with a view of the sea. Braedey was very impressed by the sight of the sea, and there was a lot to take a look at.

"Hello thare. Ye must be thon new engine Gordon telt us aboot at the works." A Scottish voice spoke out.

Braedey looked over to see two Caledonian Railway McIntosh 812 Class 0-6-0 goods engines nearby. The two engines were painted in BR lined black, both engines with red nameplates that have the names 'Donald' and 'Douglas' in gold, as well as the number 9 and 10 in gold with red lining on the tenders. Donald has the number 9, and Douglas has the number 10.

"Well, a pleasure to meet you both, Donald and Douglas

"Well, a pleasure to meet you both, Donald and Douglas." Braedey greeted back to them. He then realised something. "Hang on. You're Caledonian engines, right?" He asked.

"Aye. That's richt. We were once part o the Scottish region o British Railways, where we were 57646, an 57647." Douglas clarified to Braedey.

"Interesting. I have a friend who's also a Caledonian engine." Braedey said to the twins. He then looked to the signal, and he saw it turned from red to green. "Well, I have to be on my way. Nice talking with you two." With a whistle, he soon left the station, Donald and Douglas whistling back in unison.

~*~*~

Back on the Josephine Railway, the engines were slowly waking up, and getting ready for the day ahead. Liliana picked up her inspection train to go and check out the tracks. Austin and Max began to head off to do shunting at the coaling plants, while Diana had to take some time to get her steam up.