Chapter Twenty-Three: A Silver A4 Pacific

It was sunny autumn day on the Island of Sodor, and all the engines of the North-Western Railway were working as well as they can. Braedey, who's been asked to come over to assist with some heavy goods and passengers, was feeling very excited as he puffed into Elsbridge with his guaranteed connection with Thomas. He had been given an important task by Sir Topham Hatt.

"Good morning, Braedey." Thomas greeted. "You're looking happy today."

"I am indeed, Thomas." Braedey grinned back to him. "I've been informed by Sir Topham Hatt that he would like me to pick up the Duke and Duchess of Boxford, and take them to Knapford."

"The Duke and Duchess? Ooh, that does sound important. Where will you be meeting them?" Thomas asked curiously.

"At Barrow. Once this train has been terminated, I'll take a fast train back to Knapford with the Duke and Duchess aboard." Braedey explained.

"Sounds like quite a trip to me." Thomas said as he puffed away down to his branchline. "Have fun, Braedey!"

"And you too, Thomas!" And once he had clearance to leave, Braedey sets off down the Mainline.

~*~*~

Braedey soon arrived at Vicarstown with his train, coming to stop as his passengers disembarked and boarded

Braedey soon arrived at Vicarstown with his train, coming to stop as his passengers disembarked and boarded. However, when it was time for them to leave, their signal was still red.

Braedey waited impatiently as he looked up to the signal. 'That's odd. What's going on?' He thought. 'We should have been away by now. Any more waiting here, and I'll be late for next train with the Duke and Duchess.'

Just then, Braedey heard a very familiar whistle in the distance. He then heard the Vicarstown Bridge go down as a huge engine rocketed past him and his train. Braedey couldn't believe his eyes: the engine had been a Pacific tender engine, but had a streamlined shape and was painted silver. Unfortunately, Braedey wasn't able to catch the name on his nameplate.

"Steaming pistons!" Braedey exclaimed. "An A4 Pacific out on the line Mainline?! And just who was that?! What was that engine's number?"

"Didn't seem to have one." Braedey's driver replied. "Quite odd, if you ask me."

"Quite. What kind of engine doesn't have a number in this day and age? I'll speak to the stationmaster at Barrow when we arrive." Braedey noted. And he did.

After terminating his first train, Braedey got ready to take his fast train from Barrow down to the Knapford. However, as he looked about the station, Braedey couldn't see any sign of the Duke and Duchess of Boxford anywhere.

Headset called out to the stationmaster. "Excuse me, sir?"

"Yes?" The stationmaster turned around, his arms behind his back. "How can I help you?"