Chapter Fourteen: The Smelter's Nightshift

Start from the beginning

The main building on the site is a large warehouse known as the Smelter's Shed. Inside the shed are a number of different tracks, as well as a turntable, the manager's officer, and a large claw hanging from the roof. The outside of the ironworks is littered with many twisted pieces of rusting scrap metal and ruined parts of machines, including those of old steam engines. Because of this, many engines find the Ironworks to be rather spooky, especially during the night, when falling sparks illuminate scary shadows inside the shed.

At the Smelters, all Thomas could think about was Edward's ghost engine. He kept his eyes out all around the large building, hoping he wouldn't see the ghost anywhere, as he shunted the trucks and flatbeds of scrap steel into their right places. Belle would comfort him by his side every now and then, and Thomas would thank her for that.

James knew Thomas was scared and frightened, so he teased him even more. "What's that up there?" James asked, he and Thomas looking up to something hanging from the roof. "Is it a spook?" He teased.

"It's just a piece of twisted scrap metal." Thomas replied nervously, looking up at the piece of rusting scrap-metal hanging from some chains in the rooftop. "Isn't it?"

James was having fun. He kept on teasing Thomas. "Careful the Ghost Engine doesn't get you." He mocked, as he pulled a line of trucks into a section of the yard.

"There's no such thing as ghosts!" Thomas snapped back in fear.

Braedey felt sorry for Thomas. "It's okay, Thomas." The crimson engine soothed, pulling up next to the blue tank engine. "Nobody is brave all the time."

"I know. But I'm not scared." Thomas insisted.

"Braedey isn't saying you are." Belle countered, chuffing up with some trucks of scrap. "He is just saying that everyone gets scared."

Thomas looked to the two engines in silence, then he shunted a Breakdown coach and a flatbed of steel away into a nearby siding.

Soon, the job was nearly complete. The foreman said that the scrapyard crew need only one engine to finish up the job. Braedey and Belle wanted to pay James back with all of his teasing earlier.

"Sir. I'll do the rest of the work." Thomas called.

Braedey and Belle were rather surprised. "Are you sure?" The latter asked.

"I'll be fine." Thomas smiled. "I'll be back before you know it." He added.

"Or not at all, if the ghost engine gets you." James laughed, Braedey and Belle rolling their eyes at this.

So, Braedey, James, and Belle left the Smelters Yard, with their trains of iron coupled up to them, leaving Thomas alone in the Smelters. As soon as the three engines were gone, the large iron sliding doors to the Smelting Shed closed up with a loud CLUNK and they locked.

When Thomas was all by himself, every sound and every shadow around him he saw looked and sounded spooky. Sparks flew down from the rooftops above, as shadows danced across the walls, and the smoke from the fires nearby made the mood even more eerie and spooky. Thomas was beginning to feel very scared.