Chapter 14: Part 3

Six fae came around the corner, four males and two females. Each one of them was wearing traditional fae armour of bark and silk fabric harvested from vines. Silk she knew was almost indestructible.

The armour consisted of deep green silk shirts and trousers. A thick slab of bark shielded their chests and shoulders, another wedge strapped to their forearms and shins. Each fae, regardless of gender, had mandatory training making them all deadly skilled with weapons, especially a bow and arrow. Each fae also made their own protective masks, each one individual to their creator. Although they varied in size and colour all were the length of their creators face with cutouts for the eyes and mouth.

Aislyn remembered Nikolas telling her about the masks and how they one had one for the entirety of their lives, a traditional ritual sealing a protective element to them. To have an honourable funeral, a fae should be laid to rest wearing their mask.

Aislyn didn't know where Nikolas' mask was. Or his body.

Snapping back to focus, Aislyn focused in on the fact that all the fae a bow and arrow aimed in their direction.

"Go on then, spit it out," she snapped at them.

"Queen Minerva is no longer fit to rule," hissed another voice from behind them.

Aislyn whirled around to behold another eight fae emerging from their hiding spots amongst the foliage.

"Shit on a stick," mumbled Aislyn, whipping her head side to side trying to keep both groups in eyesight.

"Why, my child, do you find me no longer capable to be your queen?"

"You couldn't even keep your own son alive- he was killed by her kind," said one female, pointing towards Aislyn, "by her and yet you still treat her like she is going to be next to the throne."

"She will never be our queen!" shouted one of the males, drawing his bow even tighter.

"Calm down," ordered Aislyn, "I don't want to be the queen of anything!"

"You would be so lucky to have her ruling our people," reasoned Minerva, looking out from behind Aislyn's shoulder.

"Not helping," muttered Aislyn, now beginning to push Minerva towards one of the walls so she could better watch the two groups,

"Look, Queen Minerva wasn't responsible for her son's death, the man who I am tracking down is. You don't have t-"

"Are you saying that it wasn't your fault that Prince Nikolas is dead?"

"No, but-"

"Then, you're guilty," shouted the male from earlier.

He released the arrow and sent it soaring towards Aislyn.

With one hand, Aislyn reached behind her and shoved Minerva to the ground and with the other, she raised it into the air and flicked two fingers.

The arrow changed its course and instead, went flying towards another male from the other group, going straight through his eye.

The two groups shouted and raised their bows but before another arrow could be fired, Aislyn flung out her two arms sending out a tsunami of wind barrelling into the fae, sending them flying backwards.

As they busied themselves getting back to onto their feet, Aislyn bent down and pulled a small knife from one of her boots and handed it to Minerva.

"Stay down, don't move," she told her and then encased her into a cage of lighting.

She had to think quick. She had never killed a fae before. What was it Nikolas had told her about killing his kind, she thought to herself.

Aislyn woke from her fainting spell to see Nikolas' face leaning over her.