Chapter 12: Part 3

The sun had barely cleared the tops of the trees when Aislyn reached the foyer, ready to go, dressed in the same clothes she arrived in.

She had spent time in front of the mirror, when she woke up, applying cosmetics to her face to try to conceal the dark circles under her eyes. As well as her missing eyebrows. She had a restless night, falling asleep for only a few mere moments before the guilt that festered in her stomach bubbled its way up and awoke her. She was unsurprised but disappointed nevertheless when Galen didn't call in to her chambers as he frequently did when they stayed with Serilda. With idle hands and little much other to do, Aislyn found herself beginning the makings of both her and Galen's outfits for the Ball in the early hours of the morning. As soon as the first signs of lights arrived, Aislyn put down her sewing and, with sore fingers, went about making herself presentable.

The house was quiet. Serilda was rarely functioning at this time of the day, preferring to stay up late and therefore wake up late. With her students needing her approval for most of their activities, they found themselves adapting to her customs and it had been one that Aislyn had actually enjoyed. She much rather preferred the night to the day, the darkness giving her an edge in her field of work.

Aislyn looked around and spotted a servant scurrying through the hallway to her left, dusting the portraits that hung from the wall.

"Hey, you!" Called Aislyn, moving to lean against the bannister, "fetch Raven and tell him that I am ready to depart and-"

"Excuse me but-"

"You dare interrupt me?" Snarled Aislyn storming forward to confront the young man, "Do you not know any better?"

Despite the servant standing a head taller than Aislyn, she could see him physically cover away from her as she stood a breathe away from his face.

The boy's face paled to a sickly yellow colour and he stammered, "I'm so-so sorry Az-az-"

"It's Azure," she snapped at him.

The boy hurriedly nodded his head, "Yes I-I know. I was go-going to say that Raven l-left earlier this morning..."

His voice slowly trailed off as he saw the anger igniting in her eyes.

"What?" She asked in a deathly quiet voice.

"He left before the su-sun had even arisen."

Aislyn snarled in frustration, flinging her hand out and sending a vase resting on a table flying into a wall.

The boy shied away from the shattered remains of the ornament and slowly began to back away down the corridor.

Aislyn let out a dark, macabre laugh at the boy's evident fear and a sarcastic smile spread across her face.

Reaching into a hidden pocket in her skirt, Aislyn pulled out an envelope sealed with her blue fire sigil and held out her hand. Inside was a letter telling Serilda that she and Galen had left. The envelope slowly lifted into the air and slid across to the servant boy- there it hovered until the boy gingerly held out a shaky hand. The letter dropped from the air, landing noiselessly in his outstretched palm.

"Give this to Serilda," she told him, turning away.

She walked down the corridor and over to the front door. Throwing open the two doors, sunlight flooded in, lighting the foyer in a warm, orange hue.

Before walking outside, Aislyn looked back at the young servant boy who now stood with his arm to his side, letter tightly clenched in his fist.

She smiled at him and then said, "Interrupt me again... and I'll slit your throat."