IX

Grunting, Tamani roughly ran his fingers through his hair and turned to Jackson and Logan.

"Well?" He asked them.

Jackson stepped forward and let out a heavy sigh, "You went too far."

"Me? Well what was I supposed to do?" replied Tamani in an exasperated tone, "My companion comes back after five years all smug and joking around! I don't even know if I should call her that anymore."

He threw his hands up in the air before he continued, "I mourned her! You," he gestured to Jackson and Logan, "mourned her. How can you not have any questions?"

"Oh, believe me, we have questions," grumbled Logan still wiping his forehead.

Jackson rubbed a hand over his weary face and then turned to the expectant crowd.

"Sorry about that. But the good news is that Aislyn is now home and she is safe. We still don't have many answers at this time but we'll hold a meeting soon to answer any of the questions you may have. Thank you."

With that, the crowd dispersed muttering in between themselves. Jumping from the platform, Jackson turned around and said, "I'm going to find my sister."

"No, I'll go. I'll... apologise," answered Tamani already walking after her.

"No, I'll go. Get revenge for writing something so unoriginal on my forehead," joked Logan, sitting on the edge of the platform, stretching his legs out.

"Why did you let me get up in front of everyone like that?"

"A bets a bet."

Jackson and Logan's conversation began to die down as Tamani followed after Aislyn.

Just entering the clearing of the trees, Tamani could see her sitting at the base of a trunk, head lifted to the sky.

Moving on silent feet, he padded to a big tree about fifty paces from where she sat and hid behind it. For a long minute, he just stood and watched her, far away enough not to be able to see details clearly but close enough that he could see the tired expression on her face.

Tamani loved to be around natural whether that was in the woods or down by the beach. It was a way for him to escape from the loudness and busyness that was his life. Since Aislyn's disappearance, Tamani had led a life on an equal dream and nightmare.

Dream, because he had always wanted to be a Leader. Ever since he was a child, it was the one thing he had wanted to become. He could never tell his parents because, well, they just wouldn't care. He couldn't tell anyone because who would believe a guy who couldn't even raise his voice would want to take charge of a Community? He had surprised himself today, he had discovered that he could, in fact, raise his voice. But he didn't like it. But he wasn't going to tell Aislyn that.

But he had been walking through a nightmare the last five years. The love of his life had disappeared without a trace and it was his fault. His best friends, the people he considered family, were her brothers and every day was a reminder that if he told that it was his fault, he may as well be back home with his parents.

But, he had found a reprieve when outside. Even now, the warm air caressing his face, the smell of pine and earth, the sound of the trees rustling calmed him.

Tamani was just about to slump against a tree, his earlier anger gone, when he jolted forward and narrowed his eyes. From his position, he could see her talking to someone else, just out of view.

It couldn't have been anyone else from the Community, no-one tended to stray into these parts of the woods and Jackson and Logan would've had to walk past him to get to her.