Chapter 13: Part 1

Aislyn had forgotten about her outfit and it was only until she entered the Bane Community did she realise. With Spirit trotting down the main road, heading towards the square, Aislyn kept her eyes forward but caught glimpses of the strange looks she was getting.

She pondered over it for a few minutes. Checking over a mental list in her head, she thought that it could be her horse. Undeniably, it was a breathtaking horse but it didn't seem like reason enough to surmount to the hushed whispers that left the townsfolk lips as she went past. Suddenly realization dawned, her eyes flitting down to her flowing outfit then to the people's ragged old clothes.

Mentally cursing herself, she gritted her teeth and continued down towards Community House, crossing her fingers in hope that no one would be home and she could slip by unseen.

Detouring only to leave Spirit off in the stables and asking the stable hand to look after him, Aislyn walked up to the House and slowly opened the door.

The door slid open on silent hinges and Aislyn stuck her head through the gap, holding her breath just so she could hear if there was anyone in.

After hearing nothing, Aislyn let loose a sigh of relief and slipped through, closing the door after her, careful to close it as quietly as possible.

She tiptoed forward peering in the sitting room and the dining room and was just about to mutter a prayer of thanks, not that she believed in any gods, when she heard movement from down the hall.

On toes as light as feathers, Aislyn slipped into the open doorway of the sitting room and pressed her back against the wall. After staying there for a few heartbeats, and hearing nothing else, Aislyn risked sticking her head around the corner, a bewildered look plastered across her face.

The corridor was empty. Aislyn slowly walked out confused and stood in the middle of the foyer, hands on her hips, wondering what it was she had heard only a moment ago.

From the silence, there erupted a rustle of wings and a dull thud behind her. Clenching her fists and raising her eyes to the ceiling Aislyn stood there, refusing to turn around and face Galen.

"Haven't you got anything to say to me?" asked a rumbling voice from behind her, devoid of emotion.

"No, Galen, I don't."

"Well, I've got enough to say for both of us."

"Have you? That's nice but I ain't hearing it, hun," replied Aislyn, making her way up the stairs, still battling internally against the part of her that wanted to turn around and beg his forgiveness.

"I don't give a flying fuck. That's never stopped you before," he retorted, his footsteps following her up the stairs.

Aislyn let out a growl and stormed up the remained of the stairs, trying to put some distance between themselves.

She all but ran into her room, flinging the door shut but before it could slam shut, she heard the slap of wood against skin,

Aislyn ripped off her headpiece and flung it on the bed before whirling around to face Galen.

She opened her mouth to say something but the words died in her throat.

Even with the darkness of the room and the lack of candlelight, Aislyn could still see Raven's hair hanging in greasy locks over his forehead, the dark circles stretching down his cheeks, his dejected posture.

She closed her mouth and settled for shrugging her shoulders at him, "What do you want?"

"I want to know why you're being such a bitch- well a bigger bitch than usual. I've done fuck all to you, I came to this sodding Community so I could be with you and I ask for one thing. One thing Aislyn! I asked you not to go back there and you went anyway."