Chapter 9: Part 1

"Yup, another little shapeshifter right under your nose," said Aislyn stretching out her legs, "I'm surprised you didn't notice."

"Oh, sorry," replied Galen, picking himself off the floor, "not everyone has your freaky ability to sense other people with abilities."

"What can I say? I'm the best."

Snorting, Galen shoved Aislyn legs out of the way and threw himself down on the bed.

"So what sort of shift-"

"Shh," whispered Aislyn, cutting him off.

Raven watched her as she tilted her head to the side and as her brow furrowed in concentration.

A sly grin snuck its way onto her face before she shouted, "Come in!"

The bedroom door slowly swung open to reveal a bewildered Logan standing on the other side.

"Ho-How did you know I was here? I didn't make a sound."

Aislyn smirk grew into a full-blown grin as she flashed her teeth at him.

"Trying to eavesdrop then, Princess?"

 Logan walked into the room and gently closed the door behind him, making sure he didn't alert Jackson or Tamani to anything unusual. Conscious of the eyes following his every move, he walked over to the table in the corner of the room and pulled out a chair, gingerly taking his seat.

Swallowing his nervousness, he lifted his head to look at the pair who sat on the bed, staring back at him. Aislyn was casually leaning against the bedpost, arms and legs crossed, Raven in a similar pose, his right arm laying against her leg. Logan didn't know if they had realized but they seemed to pull together like magnets, subconsciously reaching out to each other even though they were in an arms reach.

"You told me that you'd give me some answers," he said bluntly to Aislyn.

"I did, didn't I, Princess?" she replied.

Logan waited for her to continue but she remained there, still grinning at him, not saying a word.

Logan sighed loudly and let his head fall back as he looked up at the ceiling, running a hand through his pink hair

"Yes," he grumbled, "I am a shapeshifter."

Aislyn laughed gleefully and clapped her hands.

"See? I told you," she smugly commented to Galen. "Go on, tell me everything."

"I found out the I could shapeshift when I was around twelve, I think. As you know, " he nodded to Aislyn, "my parents were so open about everything and I couldn't bring myself to ask them about it. They would have told me if there was something wrong with me. The first time I shifted, I panicked so much that it took me hours to figure out how to change back. I hid in the woods until the moon was out, trying to turn back. After I figured out how to control it, I think I made a casual remark to Jack and Tam to see if they went through the same thing but they didn't give me any indication. I don't typically shift if I can help it but sometimes if my emotions get the better of me, I have a hard time... controlling it."

Aislyn sat forward and rested her chin on her fist that she had propped up on her leg.

"Interesting," was all she said.

Raven interjected and said, "What animal do you shift into?"

Before Logan got the chance to answer, Aislyn made a small meowing noise before turning it into a very unconvincing cough.

Logan glowered at her, muttering, "knobhead," under his breath.

Raven looked between the two, amused at the look of contempt on Aislyn's face but then turned to Logan with a raised brow.