Chapter 11: Part 3

"So," started Serilda, scraping her spoon around her dessert bowl, "how are things at the Bane Community?"

Aislyn pushed her empty bowl away and crossed her hands over her lap, "Things are good," she replied, "My brother and...old companion aren't aware of my affliction."

"Good," said Serilda, also pushing the bowl away.

Aislyn cut a sharp glance across at Galen before sighing.

"However, a past friend of mine does know."

Serilda breathed sharply out through her nose and reclined back in her seat.

"But that's only because he possesses special capabilities too. He's a lion shape-shifter."

At this, Serilda sat forward and braced her elbows against the table, resting her head in her hands.

"Interesting," she said, a sly smile etching across her face.

"But he's extremely inexperienced," interrupted Galen, joining in the conversation.

With a low chuckle, Serilda reminded him, "If you remember correctly, so were you two when I picked you up."

"Yeah, but- "started Galen before Aislyn cut him off by placing a hand on his shoulder.

She looked down the table where ten-or-so other young students were silently observing the scene before them.

She jerked her thumb behind her back and told them, "You lot can fuck off now. This isn't any of your business."

In sync, all heads turned to look at Serilda who had moved from her previous position to recline back in her chair and examine her nails.

Without looking up, Serilda merely said, "Dismissed."

Simultaneously all the other students stood from their chairs, pushed them under the table and filed out the room.

Before the last student, a young woman so white she glowed, left the room she stood behind Aislyn and leant over her shoulder, bowing down so her mouth was next to Aislyn's ear and whispered, "We'll talk later girlie."

Aislyn grinned a feral grin and reached up over her shoulder to ruffle the girl's hair up.

"Yes, we will."

"Out, Pinzo," commanded Serilda, raising the voice ever so slightly.

With a mocking bow of her head, Pinzo slowly backed out of the room and slammed the doors behind her.

Serilda ground her teeth together and muttered, "The punishment that is coming to that girl will be spectacular."

Aislyn narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms, glaring at Serilda.

Seeing tensions rising, Galen quickly tried to reel the conversation back in.

"The reason you wouldn't be able to recruit Aislyn's friend is that he's one of the leaders."

Interest piqued, Serilda abruptly sat forward and cocked her head to the side.

"Is that so," she mused.

"He's off-limits," growled Aislyn, "the Community needs him, and he's not cut out for an assassin's life."

"Such a waste. Does he know everything?"

"No. He knows bits and pieces, but I don't want to drag him into this, I don't want to drag anyone into this. I told him that... I told him that I would train him, but I only said that to keep him quiet- "

"Azure!" Interjected Galen.

Aislyn held a hand up to silence him before continuing, "He thinks he's able to do all we can do. He can't. He grew up just as sheltered as I did, and an old cat can't learn new tricks."