Chapter 17: Part 1

Aislyn looked over herself in a mirror and for the first time in a long time, she smiled.

It was her finest creation. One day after a particularly gruelling work out enforced by Serilda, Aislyn had mindless began doodling on a scrap piece of paper. That had been over two years ago and until recently, the drawing had stayed that. Just a drawing.

The dress was simple, yet intricate. It had a deep scoop in the front, the material joining just above her navel. The top half was a deep black and hung to Aislyn like a second skin, clinging to her chest and circling around her lower back.

She had decided to leave her back bare for a change. Against her usual self-discipline rule, she used her glamour to conceal all of her scars, leaving her skin smooth and unblemished.

Although the top half was fancier than she usually wore, the bottom half was the part she was proud of.

Starting at her waist, hung mounds of ruffles, gently stacked upon one another, that stopped just above her knees. Behind her, the ruffles continued down, trailing several feet after her.

It looked simple enough, Aislyn liked that, but what made it special was when she moved.

Sewn within the black trail were yards of bright blue fabric, that every time she moved, danced from within as if it was on fire.

Of course, it helped when Aislyn gave a helping hand with actual power.

She wore a thin, tight diamond necklace around her neck, with a strand that dangled between her breasts, disappearing down her dress. Her hair slicked back and glossy hung pin straight down her back decorated with diamond beads dotted around. Her shoes were simple black heels with ribbon laces that climbed her legs.

She paired her outfit with flimsy black lace gloves that stopped at the wrist.

On a whole, she knew that even with the flames, that she was dressed on the modest side compared to some of the dresses that were broadcast in the Ball. If she had asked Galen for help, perhaps he could have added a design to make it fancier but Aislyn actually found she liked her dress, just the way it was.

Just as Aislyn was giving herself a once over in the mirror, she saw out of the corner of her eye, Galen stepped into the frame.

He was wearing a matching outfit. His shoes, trousers, shirt and tails all completely black, save for the underside of his jacket, the same colour to the 'flames' in Aislyn's dress. His hair was styled similarly to her own, Aislyn gestured for him to come forward and began to pull out strands and straighten others.

Still, without uttering a word to one another, Aislyn ran a light finger over his eyelids, changing his usual dark brown eyes, to glowing blue ones. Blinking herself, with barely more than a seconds thought, she changed hers to the same eerie shade.

Just as she was bending over to pick up their masks propped up against the mirror, Galen spoke for the first time since last night.

"You look nice-"

But before he could even get the words out of his mouth, Aislyn was placing the mask over his face, cutting him off.

Aislyn put on her mask and turned to the mirror once again, only this time with Galen by her side. Standing there next to each other, their black hair, blue eyes and matching clothes, Aislyn thought they could pass as siblings. She almost said so but stopped in her tracks when her eyes locked with Galen's. Instead, she settled for an approving nod of her head and turned around.

"Serilda's probably waiting for us," she said more to herself than to Galen and walked out of the room.

Draped seductively across one of the many ornate chairs in the room, lounged Serilda, observing her meticulously spotless nails, picking at imaginary dirt.

"It's about time," she said, raising from her position.

As per usual, Serilda was dressed in vibrant red. Dressed in a sleek, silk dress, revealing so much skin Aislyn almost felt indecent looking at her.

With only thin straps holding up the scraps of fabric, every step Serilda took was a dangerous one; The slim, triangular cut of her neckline hanging off her ample cleavage, looked like it would slip down at any moment. The split in her dress was cut so high, Aislyn could see enough of her bare upper thigh and hip bone to know that Serilda was wearing no undergarments. A thick, chunky diamond choker was strapped around her slender neck with matching earrings and cuff bracelets.

She circled Aislyn and Galen as an eagle would circle its prey with an unreadable look.

"You will suffice," she eventually remarked, a sly smirk making its way across her lips.

"Now, when we go in, they will introduce me. You two will follow after me, a few steps behind and will watch from afar the entire night. I don't need the two of you breathing down my neck, scaring everyone off. Are we clear?"

"Affirmative," muttered Galen, shuffling from foot to foot.

Serilda gave Aislyn a look at her lack of response, but didn't say anything and instead turned towards the door.

Wordlessly, the three of them walked down the main staircase where people were already standing around, drinking and laughing.

However, as soon as anyone caught a look at the spectacle walking down the stairs, all laughter and chatter stopped. Most took a double-take at Serilda, her beauty rolled like waves, hitting those around her. Then eyes moved to the infamous assassin Azure and her threatening companion.

Serilda paid the gawking eyes no heed and continued strutting towards the ballroom. She stopped a few steps in front of the enormous doors separating them from the ball that was already in full swing inside.

"Azure," said Serilda from over her shoulder, "I don't want you to cause a scene tonight."

"Me?" Asked Aislyn incredulously, "Never."

Serilda harrumphed in reply and nodded to the doormen.

As they heaved the double doors open, the smell of food and drink and bodies wafted out, hitting her full force in the face.

Serilda stepped into the room and Aislyn vaguely heard her presence being announced. She looked over to Galen and grabbed hold onto his outstretched arm, whispering in his ear, "You look nice too," before dragging him into the light.

Thanks for reading, leave a vote and drop a comment if you enjoyed what you read!