XVII

News spread quickly that Aislyn and her scary, large partner were conducting the weekly defense class.

The offer to learn some self-defense was an offer that extended to the whole Community but usually, only a few people ever bothered to show up.

However, after the show she put on last night, the people were eager to see Aislyn perform again. Granted, the majority of people who turned up were men, an impressive amount of women, who Aislyn had thought wouldn't have come, turned up too.

There was also a small group of children, not to learn, but to be kept under the watch of their parents. Since Aislyn's kidnapping, the Leaders had urged parents to keep their children close.

Aislyn was watching the group approach, she could make out her brothers auburn hair poking far above the other heads, a blonde and a brown bobbing along next to him.

"I'm sore all over," she grumbled to Galen, rolling out her neck.

"At least your quick healing means you don't have any bruises. I won't be able to sit comfortably on my arse for a week," he sniped back.

Once the group was in earshot, Aislyn took a couple of steps forward and waved everyone earlier.

Tamani had mentioned Aislyn's appearance to Jackson and Logan before but it was still a shock when they saw her bare arms for the first time.

Wisely, they both manage to keep their mouths shut but Aislyn didn't miss the way their eyes widened.

She did miss the way Jackson stepped forward at seeing the end of a long jagged scar that ran down the length of her spine, peeking out the top of her shirt, when she turned around. Galen didn't and shook his head at him.

"Everyone ready?" Asked Aislyn, returning to Galen's side.

A chorus of yeses ran through the crowd.

"Okay. Well as you all should hopefully know," began Aislyn, rocking on her heels, "You can be killed fairly easily. A gunshot, beheaded, stabbed, bleed-out, poisoned, hanged, blown up, electro-"

"Aislyn, I think they get the point," said Galen, nudging her with his elbow when he saw some of the people beginning to look uncomfortable.

"Killjoy," she snapped throwing a dirty look on his direction, "as I was saying, there are a lot of ways. So, the trick is to not get yourself in a situation someone can do that to do. So if you have to be able to defend yourselves so you can get away. What's the first thing you do when you get into an altercation, hun?" she asked pointing to one of the younger men.

"Uh, punch or kick?"

"Yeah, and that's what the other person will do too. That's when it gets messy."

Walking backward, she carried on talking, "Jackson, I want you to run straight at me."

"Uh..." He said in a confused voice. He looked over to Galen for confirmation.

Snapping her fingers, Aislyn shouted, "Don't look at him, big bro. Galen answers to me anyway!"

Galen just snorted.

Jackson, after one last panicked look at Galen, charged head-on at Aislyn. As he ran towards her, Aislyn dropped to a sideways roll and as he passed right over the top of her, she whacked him across the backs of his knees. His legs collapsed from underneath him and he crashed to the ground.

Everyone gasped, Tamani and Logan both started to go towards him but Aislyn held up a hand and said, "He's fine. I just knocked his knees out. He's not injured-"