Chapter 59: Friends Reunited

This has been written against the backdrop of another week of home working chaos in my house. And things are about to get worse. By the time you read this, my office will no longer exist. My broadband has been rerouted downstairs, along with my desk and PC. This was all planned but not during a pandemic with my entire family working from home. Things will work out. They always do. I hope you enjoy this week's chapter! #staysafestayhome

"Close your eyes! We've got a surprise for you!"

The noise in the studio had died away to a whisper and Catherine screwed her eyes shut wondering what the hell her students were up to. 

A door opened and closed and a murmur passed through the class before someone counted: one, two, three ... and she opened her eyes.

A chorus of happy birthdays rang out around the room and Champagne corks popped. Catherine smiled and acknowledged her class with a grin and an outstretched hand.

"This is so sweet. Thank you," she said accepting a glass and toasting the students who were gathering around and talking over each other as they competed for her attention.

This was unexpected.

"How on earth did you lot know my birthday anyway?" she asked, looking at the class of bright young things. 

There was much shuffling of feet and nervous looks before someone offered a somewhat vague explanation about being sworn to secrecy.

Catherine shrugged her shoulders. "Whatever, it's a lovely surprise. Thank you." 

 toasted them again and took a sip. It was the end of a long day and there was paperwork waiting in the office. But she sat down and listened to their usual moans and groans and tales of failed auditions. 

The little success stories though, made Catherine realize what she'd missed most while she'd been away.

This was her real life.

Now and then she caught Cassie's eye and smiled. Cassie had returned in her absence and Catherine could see she had improved no end over the past few months.

She also looked amazing. Life without Jared was obviously treating her well.

Cat, on the other hand, had lost weight and dark circles ringed her eyes. She had looked in the mirror before leaving for work and vowed to get a grip.

The past four weeks had been horrendous. Day-to-day life had unraveled which was so unlike her. 

Foolishly, she'd thrown herself back into work, hoping it would drown out everything else. But she was wrong.

She'd struggled to keep all the balls in the air and her emotions in check.

And this wasn't helping.

She wiped a tear away and smiled at the class. Hopefully, they'd think their surprise was behind the emotion.

The truth was much harder to explain.

She'd thought that walking away from Shannon would be easy; that it would sort out every problem and that things would return to normal. However, it didn't and it was a struggle finding the new normal back in LA.

Everywhere she turned and everywhere she went, there was something or someone who reminded her of Shannon.

She looked up and saw Cassie staring at her with a questioning look in her eyes. Glasses were empty and students gathered around offering her birthday hugs and best wishes.

She laughed as someone asked her age. "That's my secret. Now thank you for this but it's time for you lot to go get a life outside this sweaty studio.