Chapter 11: Hi! You Must Be Cat

I made the rash promise of an extra chapter this week, so hold on tight. This is the second of three you'll be getting, so I hope you enjoy it! Just don't expect this regularly :) x

The bottle of wine falls through the starlit skies. I reach out but it slips through my fingers, crashing into a million tiny emeralds. I'm on my hands and knees trying to scoop the sparkling jewels into my bag when I look up to find Jared Leto, towering above, smirking down at me. It was Barney who came to my rescue on a huge Harley motorcycle, swerving through Fairfax traffic. Then suddenly I stepped off the curb and .....

"Catherine, Catherine!" 

My face was buried in a soft pillow, the voice was coming from somewhere far, far away.

"No!" I fought off the arms which were trying to hold me tight.

"Catherine, you're dreaming. Wake up, babe."

Slowly, the layers of sleep started falling away and the crazy dream faded like an old photo, aged by sunlight.

"Hey, you OK?" Shannon was propped up on his elbow, with one arm draped over my waist. "That was some dream."

Everything was coming back in broken fragments: the wine, the poolside, Barney's cafe earlier in the evening. And this! I was in bed with Shannon. I pulled the covers over me, unable to believe I'd given in so easily.

"There's nothing to worry about. I was the perfect gentleman. I kept my promise," he sighed, obviously aware of where my mind was wandering.

"I'm sorry," I groaned, embarrassed by my body language. "I must have been in the deepest of sleep. What's the time?" 

I could see the sun casting slats of shimmering light across the wooden flooring and I started to panic at the thought of missed appointments and other things I'd arranged for the day ahead.

"It's just gone eight. Don't worry, I've made us some coffee."

"I know, it smells heavenly." I breathed in the aroma and wondered how I'd slept so soundly in bed alongside Shannon. He looked sleepy-eyed and his hair was poking up at odd angles. 

I turned away to stop staring because silhouetted by the sun's shadows, he looked just a little too attractive for my sleep-dulled brain.

But whatever I was feeling paled into the background when I pulled back the sheets to get out of bed. I was wearing one of his old and ripped band T-shirts. 

"When did I put this on? I can't remember," I said, looking at him puzzled.

"You really can't remember?" Shannon shook his head and walked over to the windows, opening shutters to the morning sunshine. "The wine really got the better of you last night didn't it?" 

"Well, to put your mind at rest, I ended up undressing you. I thought I'd better find something for you to wear in bed or you'd freak out this morning in your bra and panties."

"Well you were right on that count," I said, swinging my legs off the mattress and walking over to him. 

"Thanks for being the perfect gentleman." I couldn't hold back a little smile before bending over to scoop up my clothes.

"Catherine?" 

I looked up from the floor.

"Yes? What's up?" I was standing there, performing a stupid balancing act, trying to keep everything from tumbling out of my arms.

"I meant what I said in the text the other day. About Christian. He's not worth it. You're better off without him."

I wondered what had brought this on. "Are you worried I'll get back with him?"