Chapter 16: My Happy Place

WARNING: This book doesn't have the mature filter switched on. There are adult themes in this chapter but I don't feel they're sufficient to render it explicit. If you're in doubt, please don't read!

Apart from that disclaimer, I hope you enjoy this chapter as we catch up with Catherine and Shannon!

My bedroom's always been my 'happy place'; somewhere I keep locked away from rocky relationships and memories likely to break my heart. It's why I have rules: Sex over their place, any place but not in my 'happy place'.

Shannon was the exception to that rule.

I was so nervous and I knew he could tell. Every touch sent shivers down my spine and stupidly, I felt myself trembling as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Come here." He lowered himself down on my bed and I followed, my heart beating far too fast for my liking. We were fully clothed and still, I felt vulnerable. 

"You OK?" he stroked my arm as I snuggled into his side, draping my arm over his stomach. "You know I'd never push you into anything you're not comfortable with Catherine." He turned on his side to look at me.

"I know. It's just ....." 

Was this the right time to tell him about my 'happy place' or would he just think I was bonkers? What the hell! I decided to just go for it and explained how he was the first man I'd allowed into my bed. I'm not a virgin by any means but when I talked about my fears, it all sounded a little bit crazy. I was babbling in the most unromantic way, sentences running away with themselves until I stopped abruptly.

Shannon's laughter was contagious. It started with a smile, then his eyes crinkled at the corners followed by helpless laughing. "I'll never tire of your craziness," he said, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. 

"I love it far too much believe me. Shall we stay here or shall I take you home to my happy place? It's your choice. You decide."

This was so Shannon: considerate, kind, and thoughtful. So unlike me. 

"I'm not that mad, I promise. You can stay here but remember, if you create bad karma, I'll break your knee caps. Understand?" 

I smiled, watching him weigh up the odds carefully.

"You know what? I'll take the risk and stay." He pulled me closer until our lips were almost touching. 

I remembered the night spent at his house, the only time we'd kissed before tonight. I was feeling that same dizzy rush of blood to the head. I closed my eyes, feeling his warm breath on my mouth and the silky touch of his tongue parting my lips.

We stayed like that for an age, taking time to explore each other, our tongues entwined, teasing and probing, testing the waters before we decided to go any further.

I sighed as he eased away from me for a moment. "You still sleepy then?" he asked, resting his hand on my hip before slipping his fingers underneath my shirt to caress my skin. I wasn't sleepy but I was relaxed to the point of being zoned out.

I raised myself on my elbows until our foreheads were touching. "If I say I'm still sleepy, what then?" I teased.

"Well, then I'll undress you very slowly, pull back the sheets and cuddle you close to me until you fall asleep," he murmured, brushing his lips against my cheek.

"And if I'm not sleepy?" I traced my fingers along the dots and lines tattooed on his neck. "What happens then?"

"We'll discuss that when you give me an answer." He lifted himself off the bed and started to undress. "Whatever happens, I'm staying the night, so the clothes are coming off, whether you like it or not."