Chapter 53: Two Letos And Two Letters

I've managed to find a laptop while on holiday so I could finish this chapter and edit it. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Please let me know your thoughts: where you think it's heading; what you want to happen; what you think should happen; what you love and don't love. While I know how this story will end, I love to hear your thoughts. If you're worried about loose ends, let me know what you think should be resolved. Meanwhile, have a great weekend xoxoxo

Catherine sat huddled backstage, arms wrapped tight around herself, shivering despite the sultry heat that remained even after the sun had dipped out of sight.

She'd left Jared with the promise that her phone would remain on at all times so he could check on her.

She looked up just as Shannon's drum tech approached holding out a coffee. He shouted orders over his shoulder before turning around.

"You look like you could handle this," he said, placing the cup in her hands. "Have you seen Shan?"

He checked his watch and when she shook her head and avoided eye contact, he shrugged and walked off, talking into his phone. 

Cat held the coffee, letting the aroma comfort her as she tried to work out what the hell had happened to her life.

She'd stayed away from the bus. The thought of looking Shannon in the eye, after what had just happened, made her sick to the core.

The feel of Jared's body still lingered and much as she tried, she couldn't erase those memories.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a notification on her phone. 

A bass line thumped from her left and a loud drum roll forced her away from the stage area as she glanced down at the screen.

Shannon: Where are you?

Cat stared and asked herself the same question. As she walked, various people acknowledged her but she couldn't face talking with anyone. 

Away from the stage area, security was checking passes as she made her way outside. Fans were quick to notice her and pointed as they queued for the M&G. And out of the corner of her eye, she saw Emma looking stressed and talking to someone on her phone.

Before Cat could fade into the crowd, Emma looked up and waved her over, mouthing words that were drowned out by the backstage buzz. She groaned. Even caffeine wasn't going to help deal with this confrontation. 

Surely Emma had to have some idea of what had happened back there.  Cat had been locked away with Jared, her eyes were obviously red from crying, and Shannon was nowhere to be seen.

"Where've you been," Emma demanded. Frown lines creased her forehead and Cat felt rotten for the ripple effect she was having on other people's lives.

"Cat I've no idea what's going on but I need you to go and find Shannon. We need him here for the meet and greet. Have you any idea where he is?"

"He's just messaged me. I'll find out and get back to you."

She kept her head bowed, not wanting Emma to see her obvious discomfort.

Cat: Where are you? You're supposed to be at the M&G! I'm here with Emma.

Seconds later her phone pinged.

Shannon: Meet me at the bus.

Emma sighed as Cat showed her the message. "I'll go get him. How long have I got?" Cat muttered.

Emma checked her watch and signaled ten minutes max and walked off.

When she arrived, Shannon was pacing back and forth, cigarette hanging from his lips and hands thrust deep in his pockets.