1. The Day It Started

I was only ten at the time when they came. I was at the market with my mom. The latest hits played on broken speakers, making them hard to understand. I held onto the hem of her shirt so I didn't get swept away by the crowd. I sighed slightly when she started a conversation with the owner of the booth. 

I looked around the crowded area to the best of my abilities and saw a few guys in suits walking into a nearby building. They were pretty boring, nothing special about them. What caught my attention was the owner of red and white hair. He looked young, older than me but not quite an adult. He was wearing a suit as well and followed the group of guys into the building. 

He looked over in my direction and I felt my blood run cold. His expression was dark and dead. He had no emotion showing. I shivered at the icy chill I got from the brief moment and looked away, "Weirdos..."

I shrug it off. He wasn't even looking at me, just in my direction. 

We went through the day with no problems. We were about to leave when there was a loud pop that rang out. Mom stopped walking and the market stilled. The pop made my ears ring and I grunted at the feeling. I looked around, not understanding what was going on. 

Another pop.

A scream.

The market jumped to life again and people started running as metal gates on booths slammed down. I was suddenly picked up before getting trampled by the incoming stampede. The pops got louder. Sharper. I hugged onto my mom as she ran and held me close. We turned into a small space between two shops and crouched. 

I watched as people ran by. There was a sharp sound that gave me an instant headache. I closed my eyes at the sound and felt warmth on my face suddenly. 

I slowly opened my eyes to see an old woman on the floor in a pool of her own blood. I look up a bit more and find myself staring down the barrel of a gun. My body froze and my mom held me tighter. 

"Leave them be." 

I look towards the voice and see the same icy stare as before. He fixed his tie and looked down at us. He whistled slightly and the guy holding the gun turned away and left, a few following him.

The dual-colored haired man watched them leave and looked down at me and my mom again, "Look at you. You're covered in blood." He knelt to get to my eye level and started wiping off my face. 

I was too scared to do anything. It was so much at once, my brain was having trouble processing it all. I looked at him and listened to all the screaming and death in the background. I look over at the woman again.

The guy didn't like that. He snapped his fingers, wanting the attention on him. I complied and he pulled away. The rag he used to clean my face now had bloody blotches.

"There we go..." he stood up and threw away the cloth. He fixed his sleeves, "I'll be back for you."

I watched him leave, confused by what he meant. I didn't get to find out though. A few minutes after he left, mom got up and ran the opposite direction until we were home. My parents hugged and cried as I stood there. I looked over at the TV to see the market being broadcasted and someone talking.

"This is only the beginning. It's time the world was put under new management. Bow down to your new king or things will get messy."

The tv turned off and the power went out. I could hear the panic starting to form outside. I looked at my parents to see they were just as scared and confused as I was. I looked down slowly.

What did we do to deserve this hell that's coming upon us?

###

The power was out for a week. The police hadn't done much to stop the take over. Apparently they have been all over the world, taking over everywhere they went. Which meant no one was coming to help. They took over the country within a month, showing their full power along the way. Millions were dead, and the numbers kept increasing. By the end of the first year, everyone had already accepted and settled into their new lives.

Scanners were issued to everyone. They served as trackers and identification. Although they were a bit boxy, they were basically used as a phone. You use it for everything. To purchase things, unlock your house, turn on electronics, and to gain access to areas.

The unknown leader of this group was ruthless. People would go missing if they pissed him off somehow. 

I learned pretty quickly my life would be easier if I just kept my head down. I didn't make friends. I did what i was told to, when i was told to. And i got a part time job at a library, if you could call it that. There were no books anymore. Everything was digitized in the first few years so now you check out tablets with books approved by our new leaders downloaded on them. It made people easier to track and keep an eye on. 

Curfews were issued. No one was allowed out after ten every night. And you can't gather in large groups without a permit and an issued guard. This was to keep from riots and rebellions starting up.

I didn't mind. I was fine in my lane. I didn't bother anyone and no one bothered me. I had an easy life that I could be happy with. 

Of course it couldn't stay like that