41. Family

"And how will Puck get Lysander to fall in love with Helena? Anyone? How about you, Seth?" I snapped back to reality as soon as I heard my name being called. All eyes went to me while mine frantically searched the book for the answer.

"It says here," I read the two lines out before answering, "Puck will give them the potion from the plant, I think. It's like a love potion that Lysander will drink so he will be falling for Helena and forget about Hermia."

The professor nodded briefly, giving me a glare for not paying attention in the first place. "Correct. Tell us, Mr. Avery, what do you think about the use of magic, in order to obtain something."

"Magic isn't real." I snorted, leaning back to my seat. "And even if it was, it shouldn't be used because it wouldn't be fair to others." Thankfully after that, he went to another student to ask more questions. A Midsummer Night's Dream is quite a good story but I can't help but feel that it's so unrealistic and cliche. Magic, fairies, really? Who could possible believe in those things?

Sighing, the bell rings and I jolted out of the room. I stopped by my locker to return my thick literature book, then the locker door closed and the giggly girl from my class blocks my way. "Hi Seth! Are you doing anything after school?" She smiles with big eyes staring back at me expectantly.

However, before I could answer, the familiar red head stood beside me for my rescue. "Seth is going to help me and his sister pick out dresses for our dates with our boyfriends tonight. He's very busy."

"Whatever." The sweet girl faked a smile before moving on to her next class.

I smiled at the intimidating girl. "You're funny, Liz. First of all, you don't even like boys. Second of all, I don't even have a sister. Third of all, I hate shopping for dresses."

"She believed it, didn't she?" She smirked before nodding past me. "Justin." My other friend arrived, looking annoyed as always.

"Today, my leadership squad and I worked on the winter dance decorations and it was so horrible. Diana was talking about how her boyfriend is an asshole and then Kevin was complaining about his boyfriend giving him the cold shoulder. See, this is why relationships are not in my to-do-list, ever." The preppy boy hissed in frustration, running a hand through his short hair.

Liz pouted playfully. "Poor you. Come on, let's go to PE. I hope we play volleyball so I have an excuse to hit annoying people."

***

"Alright, today is a good today to improve your mile scores."

I glanced at Justin to find him with a massive grimace. "Great." He groaned, crossing his arms as he sends a secret glare at our coach. "Seth, now that we're friends, I think you should know some things about me. I don't run. I don't speed walk. I hate sports. I most especially despise the fucking fitness test."

"What's the fitness test?" I asked confused.

"It's this thing you need to do to prove you're fit or something. I don't know." He scoffs. "Anyway, I'm already failing PE, for the second time in a row, so whatever."

The entire class started to walk to the running track. I followed everyone behind a white line while the coach stood in front of us with a timer and a whistle. "Remember, you aren't competing with anyone but yourself. Run four laps and let me know what time you finish. The faster your time is, the better you get. Now go! Don't slack off and I'm talking to you, Fiasco."

Justin smiled at him widely. "Yes sir." He replies sarcastically.

At the sound of the whistle, everyone sprints forward, except for Justin and myself. The coach frowned at me. "What are you doing, newbie? Run!"