20. Dueling Week (I)

It's that time of the year again. Every year, last week of November, Hogwarts throws this event called 'Dueling Week' where students can duel anyone and earn house points. It's something fun yet informative that can help us boost house points. The original point of this is for students to gain points while learning and practicing spells at the same time. However, to students, it's just a competition to see which house is better -- also for students to show off.

Today is the first day of that event. It's Monday and classes have just ended, 3:30. The dueling starts at 4:30 but most students are already heading over to the courtyard, where the event is happening. As soon as the clock tower rings, half of the students from my Divination class had ran out before Trelawney could remind everyone of the homework. This event is something that almost everyone is thrilled for, including myself, all of my friends, and the teachers and staffs of the school.

I got out of Divination with Seth, who dragged me along with him to the courtyard. We're on the 3rd floor so it was a long run, but we still made it to the front of the crowd thanks to Fred, James and Lupin who had been there before us. Roxanne, Nina and Colleen are there as well, right next to the boys. Nina loves this, so of course she'd be one of the people to be here first.

"James is going to participate." Fred stated, playfully punching the first year's shoulder. "You are going to slay, aren't you James?"

"Hell yeah I am." James puffed his chest and held his head high. "I plan on taking the trophy from Slytherin and gaining a champion badge on my first year."

Lupin shook his head. "No one's had that luck, Potter. Not even me." Lupin won a Veteran's badge last year but he couldn't get any further because all the Slytherin participants are too sly and sneaky for him. Still though, a Veteran's badge is something to be proud of.

There are four awards given to those who participate: Beginner's badge, Veteran's badge, Champion's badge, and the dueling trophy. Beginner's badge is for anyone who participates. As soon as they enter, they automatically get the beginner's badge. If someone wins ten duels, they get the Veteran's badge. The champion badge goes to the student who defeats everyone in the competition, basically. The trophy is a house award. The champion student's house will get the trophy and will be displayed in their common room for a year, until the next dueling event.

For 3 years now, the Slytherin house has been holding the trophy. Their best dueler, 6th year Mason Zaria, has been crowned as undefeatable. He's entered at his first year and received a Veteran's badge, won a champion badge 3rd, 4th and 5th year and kept the trophy for the Slytherin house. The next best player is none other than Margaret Higgs. Then there are those who are the favorites, such as Flint, Prince, Rosier, and of course, Lupin. Roxanne and Nina entered on their 2nd year and received a beginner's badge but unfortunately both failed to defeat 10 students. Colleen and I never bothered to participate, though we do love to watch.

I just stand there, watch the duel and judge.

"Who else is going to be dueling?" Seth turned to the girls. "Nina?"

She nodded. "I'm going to try again this year. Roxanne and I. And Sam."

"You're funny." I chuckled at my silly friend.

"Nina and I signed your name. We think you should try it." Roxanne grins sheepishly. "It's a way to let out stress and anger, you know. You look like you've been holding a lot of those lately. It won't hurt, darling. You've hexed Teddy enough to know the perfect dueling strategies."

"Hey!" Lupin exclaimed.

"Also we have a higher chance of getting the bloody trophy and laugh at Zaria's face if a Gryffindor wins." Nina added quickly. "But yes, that too, what Roxanne said."