4. Classes

Starting off the morning with Nina Harris and Margaret Higgs is possibly the best thing, ever. Especially since we have Professor Prince first thing in the morning; Prince is the best teacher to piss off. As soon as we stepped inside the classroom, our names were written on a parchment on our tables, which would be our permanent seat for the rest of the year. I am seated at the second row, right next to a Seth. Behind us, there's Lupin and a Gryffindor girl in our year named Maria Lopez. On the center of the room, Nina and Margaret share a table, which is definitely trouble.

Nina is rather loud and talkative. She isn't mischief-obsessed like Lupin, Fred, James and Seth, but she's quirky, loud and is a total class clown. Similar to Nina is Margaret, who's just as loud and talkative, although she has a sharper tongue. Right now, the two girls are singing a classic Queen song, Bohemian Rhapsody. It is from the muggle culture but the wizarding world grew quite fond of it -- as well as many other muggle music, books, films and others in their pop cultures.

"I see a little silhouetto of a man," Nina belted, sitting on her table as she faces the class with a massive grin.

Margaret mimicked her expression, singing to the person next to her. That person just happened to be Janie. She glared at the Slytherin girl and scooted away irritated. "Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?"

"Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening me. (Galileo) Galileo. (Galileo) Galileo, Galileo Figaro Magnifico." The lovely ladies sang together quite horribly. Still, everyone in the room, apart from a few Slytherins and Ravenclaws, cheered and laughed with them.

On the middle of their duet, their voices were completely muted. Then we heard the sound of doors smashing together as they shut, followed by heavy footsteps dragging on the floor. "First class of the fist day and I get this. I can't wait for the rest of the year." Professor Prince murmured sarcastically, walking to the front of the room. He leaned against his desk while facing us, loath and exhaustion in his face. "Detention tonight, my classroom, Harris and Higgs."

He waved his wand and books were distributed to each student. Necromancy by Derek Zero. "Necromancy? Are we even allowed to learn about these things? This is dark magic. Isn't it restricted for schools to touch these subjects? Necromancy is literally about raising the dead and meddling with lives with dark arts." Said a new transferred Ravenclaw boy from the back of the classroom.

I skimmed through the book and noticed that the topics are everything that touches dark magic: Horcruxes, Unforgivable Curses, Dark Potions, Dark Creatures such as Inferius, Basilik, Dementor, and many others. It even has a few witches and wizards who had been involved with dark arts: in other words, a lot of Lord Voldemort references.

"It is not restricted." Prince chuckled. "We can teach it but under certain circumstances. Everyone is supposed to know a bit of dark arts because they exist and people want to know how to fight them."

"I suppose..." The same boy trailed off, still sounding unsure. "Why does it have dark spells and steps on how to brew dark potions though? What if someone uses them? We are only students. I don't think we should know these things. It's dangerous."

"It's there so you know what to look out for, Lestrade. Not anymore word from you." There were a group of boys who had laughed at the Raveclaw boy and I didn't need to turn to see who they were. Prince's little gang are best known for getting on everyone's nerves and making fun of everyone. "Now, without looking at your books, who can tell me what creatures are involved with dark arts? We are starting the unit with dark creatures."A few hands went up. "Lupin."

As soon as Lupin opened his mouth and a sound came out, I found myself spacing out.

When Lupin answers a question, it's like he is reading from a book. It's long, formal and well explained -- my mind just automatically tunes out. I don't even know how he knows so much. Maybe he is just naturally smart -- after all, word has it that his father was a very intelligent man. His mother was also clever, but I figured Lupin got the brains from his father and the mischief from his mother.