11. Mood Swings

I had a lot of assignments waiting to be done and here we are wasting a lot of time at the Quidditch pitch. It's time for another practice and we can't start without Lupin. We've been waiting for 15 minutes now and he's nowhere to be found. Not only is Flint looking as if he's about to erupt like a volcano, but everyone else in the team are also getting angry.

"I'm here! I'm here! Sorry I'm late!" The git finally shows up, not even dressed in proper Quidditch attire. He's wearing black jeans, sneakers, a red tank top. His hair is messy and there's a bruise on his neck. I don't think questions are necessary.

Flint gave him an earful scolding session for a good 5 minutes until we finally started practice. I was so eager to get over practice since I really need to start those assignments due tomorrow but luck isn't on my side, ever. It took us almost 3 hours until our little game ended because Lupin wasn't concentrating.

"Lupin, our game is next week and if you screw up, you are out of the team. Grant is our substitute seeker and I promise you, none of us will have a problem replacing you." Flint spat before storming out of the pitch once practice is over. Nate, Ava, Jared and Cal followed him without a word, leaving Fred, Roxanne and I with Lupin.

Lupin removed his shirt and ran a hand through his hair, looking very upset. "What's wrong, Teddy?" Roxanne asked, shooting him a worried look.

"Nothing! Leave me alone." He sighs, walking away to the other side of the pitch to sit on a bench. He had his hands on his head, covering his face completely.

Roxanne was quite baffled with Lupin's attitude and threw her hands up in surrender. "Well, I tried talking. I'm done." She gave us a brief nod before leaving the pitch. Fred and I exchanged a look, as if silently asking who gets to talk to Lupin and we both know it had to be him, being a best friend and all.

I watched as Fred walked over to Lupin. At first, it was going quite well but then I hear Lupin snap once again and Fred walking back to me irritated. "He said he wants to be alone."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I marched over to Lupin and stood in front of him with my arms crossed. Fred shook his head at me and walked away, leaving me alone with the moody metamorphmagus. By now, his hair is red.

"What is wrong with you?" I frowned, my voice bitter than I had expected. "Roxanne and Fred are just worried about you and you snap at them? They're like your family and you push them away when they're worried about you. First of all, you show up to practice late, being a selfish prick and not thinking that some of us have things to do after practice. Then you kept us for so long because you weren't doing your job properly and then you're acting like a massive arse to your own friends."

"Why are you even here? You especially shouldn't even be talking to me right now." He replied with his jaw clenched. "Just leave, Avery. The last thing I want right now is to listen to you and your rants."

Here's the thing. Lupin and I haven't had a serious argument or fight since we talked about his nightmares. That was 3 weeks ago. This is the first time in weeks. I thought things were going so well between us. I thought we were improving but I guess not.

"If that's what you want, fine. We'll leave you alone." This boy is so complicated.

***

As I waited for dinner, I sat with my new friends, Peter, Dana and Dallas on the Hufflepuff table. Roxanne is with Natasha Bell, Seth is with his older friends and Fred is with James and Eleanor at the Ravenclaw table, so we're all kind of separated. At the Hufflepuff table, we're having a conversation about taking a small trip together during the holiday.

Then a boy who I met a few weeks ago, Steve, joined our conversation and invited all of us for a Christmas party his family is throwing. He seems to be close friends with Dallas and Dana, who both promised they'll be going, but I didn't exactly know what to say since I've never spoke to Steve much.

"You should go. It would be fun if you go." Steve smiles with rosy cheeks.

"Steve. Don't you know? Sam here is not one you should flirt with. If you do, you're automatically on Lupin's list of 'People to Prank Forever'." Dana chuckled, pinching the boy's blushing cheeks.

"Why would you say that?" I shot Dana a puzzled look.

"If you haven't noticed, those who flirts with you are always the people that Lupin picks for his pranks. I noticed. Dallas noticed. I think everyone notices except you." She winked. "You've got an admirer, girl."

"That's hilarious."

"Don't believe us?" Dallas raised his hand. "There's Prince who got his body covered with boils at the beginning of the year. Wood ended up looking like a walking snowman a few weeks ago. The night after the party, my dorm was filled with bugs and insects. He thought I was flirting with you during Margaret's party so he did that to me."

"That's .... why.... How did you know Lupin did those, anyway? He's not the only one who pranks people here. It could be James, or Fred. Or Seth, since he is a protective bloke sometimes. He, too doesn't like when people flirt with me."

"It's Lupin. Trust me."

Throughout dinner, the Weasleys and James talked about Lupin's sudden mood swings but none of them wanted to bother him so they left him alone. He didn't show up at all, so I don't think he ate. Still, I don't care anymore. If he wants to be left alone, he will be left alone. I don't know what's gotten to him but he shouldn't act that way.

After eating real fast, I went straight to the common room so I could finish my assignments. I started them after practice and took a break for dinner so that after eating, I don't have to stay up too long. When I entered the common room, Lupin is there reading a book, for once in my life I've seen him do that. He's just at the corner of the room, sitting by himself with a book.

Shaking my head, I sat on the couch with my books and parchments. Nina let me borrowed her music player so I listened to my playlist again once I finish my assignments. It wasn't until after 20 minutes when I was interrupted. One of my earphones was snatched out from my ear and an arm went around my shoulders.

"James. May I help you?"

"Nope." The first year grins, resting his head on my shoulder. "I brought you a cookie."

"Oh really?" He doesn't have a cookie anywhere near him, much to my disappointment.

James nodded. "But I ate it."

Rolling my eyes, I returned to my work while James played with Nina's music player. He took the other pair of the earphone and listened to a song called What's Up by 4 Non Blondes. I had no idea James knew the song and before I know it, he and I are having a sing off instead of me doing my work.

"And I said HEY WHAT'S GOING ON?!" James belted at the top of his longs, taking Tiana from the couch and lifting her up to dance.

"Will you please quiet down there? Some of us are trying to relax in peace." A grumpy Lupin comments, walking over to us with a massive scowl.

James stuck out his tongue. "How about you leave? Sam and I are trying to have fun here, Mr. Grumpy Pants." I don't even know what to say. Lupin only turned angrier and James just brushes him off.

"Oh look at the time. It's getting late. Bed time!" I took James' hand and lightly pushed him towards the boys dorm. "Good night James." James shot me a confused look but nevertheless ran upstairs as if he didn't just talk back to Lupin. Sighing, I took all my belongings and was about to girls dorm until I hear my name being called.

"Wait..."

Reluctantly, I turned to Lupin while clutching my books. "I'm a bit busy Lupin."

"Sam--"

"You wanted to be alone, right? Good night, Edward."