Chapter 23

Susan had gone up ahead of us in her own car, while we trailed behind in Dex's; it was just before we had gotten to the house, when Dex said something that made me wonder if he thought Cass' death was his fault.

"You know what I realised," He said, eyes still on the road, "Truth doesn't cost, but a lie could cost you everything..."

"Dex, how was you supposed to know that not saying who your supplier was, would cause that to happen? We didn't know they intended on shooting, if anything happened... I hope you're not blaming yourself." I sternly told him, seeing he was deep in thought again.

"Of course I do!" He turned to face me; he had a mixed look of anger and sadness on his face. Who that anger was directed at (me or himself) I don't know. "Of course I blame myself for that happening! I could have avoided that if I hadn't answered their stupid call and gone to meet them. I could have avoided it if I hadn't let her go as bait... I... I could have avoided it...."

"Dex..." I placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, "She wouldn't want you thinking like that. None of us do. I know you believe it's your fault, but you weren't the one to pull that trigger. You weren't the one to put her into the situation she was in." I paused, "And I should have been watching her when we were taken, so I could have stopped her from being in that situation..."

He glanced at me, "You don't think you're to blame do you?"

"Of course I do... Everyone blames themselves when someone dies... I bet your mum is in her car blaming herself for something... Everyone does it at some point."

"I suppose you have a point..."

"I do." I looked out the windshield toward the house - it was gorgeous and massive; it seemed to be a little farm house, with a small porch leading from it. Some areas of the house were covered in ivy and it seemed to go so well. "Your mum is going to need us now, more than ever."

He glanced out too, "I know..."

Dex then parked the car up close to the house; we exited the car, grabbing a bag each and entering the house. Susan had already gone in. She stood in the kitchen, making a brew for us when we walked in. She was sniffling as she grabbed for cups, when she accidentally dropped them. She swore at herself, bending down to pick up the pieces.

"Let me get that." I told her, dropping my bag by the door, and rushing to pick them up, "You go sit."

Dex gave a small smile, which I saw from the corner of my eye; he stood by, helping his mum to her feet and over to her armchair. He told her, "She makes a great cupper. You'll be thankful for that."

"Thank you..." She managed, letting her son sit her down; she seemed a bit shaky in her hands and knees now.

"How many sugars do you take, Mrs Evans?" I asked, turning to look at her from over the breakfast nook; I had already grabbed a pair of fresh cups, setting them down with hers, and I had cleaned up the broken pieces on the floor.

"Umm, 2 please..." She attempted a small smile, "And call me Susan, dear."

"Okay." I smiled, putting the two sugars in; I already knew Dex's coffee by heart, so was quick to do that one.

Once the kettle had finished boiling, I poured the water, and then brought what I was able to over to them. It was eerily quiet for most part as we all drank our hot drinks.

Then Susan spoke up, when she had taken a sip of her coffee; she gave a small smile, "It's nice having you back, David." She gave a saddened look, "How long are you staying?"

"As long as you need us." He smiled slightly.

There was another short pause between them, before she asked, "So, how long have you two been together?"