Chapter 5

As we entered the apartment building, a group of young lads were hovering by the gates to be let in. The leader parted the group as he stepped toward us, "Hey, lads, look at this pretty lassie we have coming here."

"Look who she's with, too, boss." One of the shorter boys responded with a snigger; they began circling us,

The leader added, "Dex, nice to see you, mate. Mind if we take that pretty lady for a ride, if you get what I mean?"

Now, just to be clear: I know all about Dex's drug operations and it didn't bother me in the slightest as it paid his bills and such. These boys had been previous customers before, but they weren't serious, so Dex dropped their order, and they were pissed - although they were the ones to mess him around. I also knew of his short temper with people like this, people that gave shitty attitude toward women. I noted he took a deep sigh, putting on his best 'smile'. He stepped toward them, a protective stance in front of me.

"Now, why would I let any of you take a lovely lady like this, when she is clearly above your standards, lads? Way too good for you lot." He was smirking, and not the usual one he gave when he was trying to be cheeky. This one was a death look, one that no one wanted to be on the bad side of.

"Dex, c'mon; they're just kids. Leave 'em. They're not worth it." I tried to pull him away from the fight, but his pen-knife was already hidden within his hand, meaning he was ready to fight.

"Aw, go on Dex, do as you're told. Do what the lil' lady says." The leader teased, getting dangerously close to Dex, who was evidently annoyed at the young adults in front of us; when the boy was in proximity of Dex, this he took as a hint to lunge at him. Dex managed to get the knife in the boy's shoulder, before he quickly took it back out and aimed at the boys who now aided their leader in the fight.

Considering they were a lot smaller and inexperienced than Dex, they put up quite a good fight. Not good enough though, as he ended up defeating them all. He only injured them... Not too serious, so if charges were pressed, they wouldn't have been too bad. Sighing, Dex stumbled - having gained a few injuries himself - to get his keys out his coat, and open the gate to the apartment building. He looked like he was about to collapse considering one of the boys managed to stab him in the abdomen and the side, so I swooped in to hold him up, my arm around his shoulders. I helped him to his apartment - now not bothering with going to see Johnny, and focusing on getting his wounds fixed up.

I opened his apartment door, settled him on the couch, and went in search of a first aid box - hoping it would be easy to find. It proved difficult. All while I was looking for this first aid kit, Dex kept complaining how he didn't need medical attention. Clearly he did. I eventually found it, and settled myself beside him, demanding that he take his shirt off and lay down so that the wound was easier to treat.

Of course, he had to add a comment that made me blush worse than an anime character at the sight of their 'senpai'; the comment he made was slightly slurred due to the low energy he had from his injury, "If you wanted my shirt off, luv, you could have just said before.."

I gave him a glare, but clearly wasn't why he was laughing. It was the crimson blush on my cheeks that shone through my pale, freckled skin. I tried to hide it by keeping my head down and continuing dressing his wounds, but his laughing kept making me look up, and he would laugh even harder.

"Y-You're gonna make your injury worse if you keep t-this up." I kept my gaze on his wounds and bandage.

"You love it really," He grinned; he went to pull me into a hug, but I gently pushed him back to laying down.

"No."

There was a moment's pause between the two of us, before he came out with, "You didn't seem too comfortable talking before, during the dinner. There a reason?"

"No. I... Just didn't feel much like talking." I lied.

"Hmm." He smirked, "You sure you weren't jealous?"

I must have kept silent for a long time, because the smirk on his face disappeared and took on a more serious look of realisation. I was afraid of what he would say, so stepped in with a defensive type of comment.

"Why would I be jealous of a girl like that?" I looked away, putting down the first aid supplies; he sat up, "Obviously people are going to go for her. She's a bimbo. One of those girls that doesn't mind sleeping around, and not telling who they're with that they're doing it. One of those girls that make their boyfriends forget people like me. One of those girls that..." I lowered my head, "Are so much more prettier than me and would obviously get someone as great a person as you."

It scared the living shit out of me because of how long he was quiet for and didn't look at me. I stood up to leave. He stopped me in my tracks as he basically shouted, "Glad to hear that's what you really think. What, is that what you've thought of all the girls I've been with - that they're sluts? That I can't get anyone better than someone than that?"

"Dex, that is not what I am saying.... I..."

"You what? Don't think I'm good enough for anyone?! Don't want me to be happy with anyone? Want me all to yourself?" He stood up himself, now overtowering me; he winced slightly when his injury caused a shooting pain to run up his side, "You never want to share anything, let alone me. It's always about you."

"Dex..." I started; it was evident that he was angry, but I felt my own anger rising, "Yeah, well, stuff you. I... I just wanted it to be like old times, when we hung out a lot. Not have these tarts come tag along. And for your information, those girls don't deserve you, that's what I think. You deserve better, but you obviously have such low self esteem that you don't think you can."

I stormed out of there, before he could respond. I hoped those kids had scrammed as I made my way to the exit. A part of me hoped he wouldn't follow.. I didn't feel much like arguing or talking for that matter. But, another part of me really wanted his comfort. His hugs. His words of comfort. He didn't follow though, or call for the night. I wanted to cry, and as I walked I felt the feeling became stronger. Eventually, I had to stop at the bridge near Dex's. There was a rock that made it a good bench. I sat there and sobbed to myself.