Chapter 9

A month following those events, Dex and I had actually grown that bit closer. It had improved our relationship, so to speak, and I was glad for it. Yes, there was the odd spat between us, which often ended with a quick breakup, but we always ended up back together. It was days prior to what I'm about to go on about that we had a little bump in the road, which I was glad we were able to patch up so quickly.

I guess you could say it was an ordinary day to usual, when I thought on the fact Dex didn't have a pet of his own, yet he was such a frantic bird lover. I wanted to do something to show how much I appreciated him taking care of my own pet, my guinea pig Toffee. Before setting off for his apartment, where I was to stay the night, I headed into the pet store. I immediately picked out two budgies - a gorgeous lime coloured one and a sky blue coloured one that had a lemon face. I, of course, had picked out a cage to go with them along with all their required items beforehand because it was something I had been thinking on for some time now. I carried the small birds in a covered carry cage, to 1. Keep them calm on the journey to Dex's 2. Keep them a surprise until I wanted him to see them.

I quickly headed over to his place, birds in hand, to show him the surprise I had gotten him. He had previously given me a key, so getting in wasn't much of a problem. It was more opening the doors due to my hands being full, with the birds in one hand and my overnight bag in the other. Usually, Dex was there to help, but I knew he had stuff to deal with at that moment in time over the phone. When I walked in however, he was bent over Toffee's cage, and he was cradling the small pet. I placed the birds and my bag down - the birds on the small coffee table.

"Naw, you cutie, you are; aren't you? Yes, you are." I heard him coo; I so badly wanted to laugh at him generally being a huge dork, but kept it together and just continued to watch him for a few more seconds, "Aw, good boy... "

"You know you'd make an excellent pet daddy." Walking over to him, I leaned over him and pecked his cheek; his face immediately heated up, though not for long.

Still holding Toffee, he turned to me with a grin on his face; he put his free arm around my waist, "But, you're my pet, luv."

He was obviously intending on being dirty, something he did a lot, but I just frowned at him and raised an eyebrow at him, "No... Dex... don't do that... I was gonna give you your present, but now you've been bad..."

He edged me to tell him what I had gotten him; continuing from my first statement, I told him, "And that's why I got you these."

I strolled back over to where I had placed the two budgies and pulled the cover off the cage to reveal them. Still tending to my guinea pig, still holding him, Dex cooed over the 2 birds. Immediately taking a liking to them.

"I love them, Kay!" He hugged me, being careful not to squish Toffee - who let out an excited squeal - while doing so; he had a huge grin on his face to indicate I had done my job of surprising him, "They're adorable."

Dex handed me my guinea pig so I was able to put him back in his cage, and so he was able to return to gushing over the two budgies. He was crouched in front of the cage, wiggling his finger in the cage to attract the small birds.

"Got a name for them in mind?" I came up behind him, wrapping my own arms around his waist; I leaned my head against his shoulder.

"Hmm," He thought, "What about Bobby and Dolly?"

"I like them." I smiled at him, giving a quick peck on his cheek before turning away and grabbing my bag to put into the bedroom, "The cage is in my car if you want to grab it, while I take a shower?"

I heard a short chuckle, before he turned to me, following me; he had that look in his eyes telling me he would rather join me, "You know full well which I'd prefer to do."