Chapter 10

"Kayla, hurry up! I want to get this out of the way! I have more important things to do!" Dex called; I was still half asleep when he told me to get up, even now as I got ready to go out.

He was annoyed at a customer who continuously missed his payments for certain merchandise, and this was his final straw. Dex and I were going round to the guy's apartment to check it out, something Dex had to do a fair bit to keep people in check. I usually went along because I liked the action. I guess seeing Dex being alpha male with his customers kinda turned me on.

As soon as I was ready, the two of us headed over to the apartment, which luckily wasn't that far away from his own. When we got there, it was plain to see it was a lot more in shambles than Dex's place. It looked as if the place had been abandoned for a short while now.

"I'm gonna see if he's hiding anywhere in here." Dex pulled out his revolver as a precaution; he turned to me, "Be careful,"

He went around the apartment, looking for the owner or the money he was owed. I, however, routed through it for anything worth taking. There was the odd time I called out, "Ooo, mine!" when I did find something of worth to me. Dex didn't find either his money or the owner, though he did find another Budgie. He had already fallen head over heels for it. He had claimed it as his own.

I came back into the room with a huge sack of stuff; I dropped my sack to my feet, as I saw him cooing over the bird, and I told him, "You really are a bird nerd, aren't you?"

He strolled over to me, the small Opaline Olive Green budgie perched on his finger; he grinned at me, "You could say that... How about it, we keep her?"

"Yeah, doesn't look like he's coming back for her." I nodded in agreement.

"Fancy giving her a name?"

I thought on the request for a short time, "Kiwi?"

"I like it." He smiled taking my hand in his free one; I picked my sackful of goodies up again, "C'mon let's get outta here. Although, now I'm wanting kiwi to eat. Thanks."

"Hey, we gotta get this little birdie back first and feed her." I giggled.