Chapter 22

Olly had only just got the pint for Dex and came back over to the table, when a fair skinned woman strolled into the bar; she had her hair pinned back in a scarf, but I was able to see that she had dark brown hair - like Dex's - that looked long. She had a wide face with a rounded jaw and thin lips. She had light brown eyes that were prominent and had smooth eyebrows. She had broad shoulders, a thin torso and curvy hips. She was kind of short in the legs too. Pretty in the face. Seemed familiar though.

She threw off her leather jacket, placing it on the bar stool beside her; she ordered her drink, which I'm guessing was her usual because the bartender was quick to make it without being asked, and she took a sip of it before scanning the room. She stopped on Dex, and gave a confused look. She lowered her glass to the bar top, now trying to get a better look.

"You know her?" I whispered to him, nudging him slightly with my elbow.

"Mum?" Dex had looked up, mouth agape as he looked at the woman.

I guess that answers my question. He stood up, heading over to her; she stood up too. I wasn't sure what either's reaction was going to be, but so far it seemed good. Even more so when she hugged him, pulling him into a tight embrace. Then she let go, and slapped him across the face. That part didn't seem too good.

"David Alexander Evans! You left me and your sister for 3 years and just think you can waltz in like that without so much as a word?" She shouted, now seeming angry; she frowned at him.

"Sorry, mum..." He lowered his gaze; he glared when he heard a couple of chuckles from behind his mum. He told her a bit quieter, "I didn't think you would want me back after what happened with Pollag... and Cass' dad..."

"Of course I want you back, you daft sod. You're my son." She smiled more now, "You weren't in the wrong. They were. Besides that Pollag is gone now, we don't need to deal with him."

"Good."

"Where is your sister?" She glanced around, not seeing her with us; she looked back at Dex, "David?"

He looked away, unable to look his mum in the eyes; he stuttered, "I tried to protect her... I couldn't..."

"I think it's best we take this somewhere more private." Olly stepped in, putting a hand on both their shoulders; he glanced at me, to hint that I should come along to, which I did.

Olly took all 3 of us into the back, with permission from the owners, where it was a lot less busy. No one was in this area, though it seemed to be a beer garden. It was pretty though, and had a nice view of a nearby church.

Dex was quick to introduce me, "Mum, this is Kayla; she's my girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you..." I attempted to smile, though I knew it was a weird time for introductions considering the news we were about to tell her.

"Hi darling." She attempted to smile also, though it was clear she had other things on her mind; she turned back to Dex, "Well then, where's Cassandra?"

"She was shot... and there was so much blood... and we took her to the hospital, but they couldn't.... The heart monitor stopped..." Dex tried to explain; his eyes were welling up again, so I pulled him into a hug.

From where I stood, I was able to tell his mum already knew what he was going to say; I saw her eyes tear up the moment Dex started explaining and with every word, her heart broke. I wanted to pull her into a hug as well, but didn't think it was appropriate, considering she didn't know me. Instead I kept embraced with Dex, who kept his head down again. Olly, however, was quick to comfort her; he had explained to me that he and Dex had grown up together, Susan being like a mother to him and Dex like a brother, while the two were talking in the pub.

"David?" His mother asked; the look on her face was heartbreaking.

He was unable to tell her, and every time he did try he kept choking on his words. He was unable to keep eye contact with his mum. It was clear he was having a tough time even thinking of the news, nevermind saying it. He was having issues, himself, with processing that the news was real.

"Mrs Evans..." I stepped in, seeing Dex was unable to; I actually found it hard to tell her myself, and was unsure how to word it, "They really did try to help her... They took her straight into surgery when we got there... Dex and I tried everything on the way there too... They said it must've been shock..." Damn it, this was really hard, especially when I saw in her eyes that she was on the verge of tears, "...She didn't make it..."

"What...?" Susan was silently crying now; the tears didn't stop and I saw the moment her heart had shattered, "No... Not my baby girl..."

"I know it won't help, but I'm sorry... Dex and I can stay for a while, if you need us to. We'll help you through this..." I looked at Dex, seeing he had turned away from his mum and was trying to hide his own tears, "I'll help you both through it."

"I think that might be best." Olly suggested, and she nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry, mum ...." He had finally spoken up; Dex looked at her, "I didn't want her to get involved... They took her from us... I wanted to protect her... I didn't mean for this to happen..."

There was a silence that felt like it lasted forever, neither of us were sure how Susan was going to react to this. Her silence was kind of worrying us all, especially Dex since he wanted to gain that close relationship again. When she brought Dex in for a hug, it surprised us all. Dex stood with wide eyes, not expecting a good reaction in the slightest.

"It's okay... I know it wasn't your fault..." She finally said, burrowing her face into his shoulder; she smiled when he returned the hug.

I believe they stood like that for a good 15 minutes, just giving each other the comfort that they needed at that moment in time. It was rather sweet, despite the reason they were hugging; sad, but sweet. It seemed they were already getting their close bond back. Once they parted, Olly suggested getting a couple of drinks before we headed back home. Both Susan and Dex were reluctant, considering what had just been said and now not up to it. We instead went back to his mum's place, once she grabbed her jacket from inside the pub.