Chapter 13

The next morning I woke up to find the space beside me was empty; rubbing my eyes, I grabbed my phone to check the time. Seeing it was nearly 9AM, I got up and trudged toward the living room. As I entered the room, I was able to hear Dex whistling a tune. He was attending to the birds, seeing as we kept a schedule for them, feeding them breakfast.

"Aw, you girls are good for daddy; aren't you?" He smiled, leaning into the cage to place the bowl.

I smirked, leaning against the door frame, "Hmm, maybe daddy could show me if I'm a good girl?"

The comment seemed to cause him to blush, seeing as he turned around and I saw pink coming through his cheeks.

"Pet, you're always daddy's good girl." He grinned; it was clear he was trying to play it cool, shrug my comment off, but he also caused himself to blush more.

"What's the plan for today, bird nerd?" I grinned at him.

He approached, once closing the birdcage door; he then wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer, "My sister is coming to town, and I would like for you to meet her."

"Your younger sister that you mentioned before?" I asked, "Cassandra?"

"Yup, she's staying for a couple days; said mum sent her to spend time with me." He shrugged, "Of course, she's a bit reluctant about it though."

"I guess she would be, since she would probably want to be around her friends more. How old is she?"

"Around 16."

"Yeah, she'll be wanting to go partying and hang out." I smiled.

"Yeah, well, that's what mum wants her to do." He smirked, "Whether she likes it or not."

"When do we go meet her?" I asked, putting on the kettle for my morning brew.

"When you get dressed."

"You could have said before I put the kettle on!" I smirked at him, folding my arms.

"Put it in your travel mug." He grinned, pushing me toward the bedroom, "Now, go! She'll be arriving at the station soon."

"Alright!" I was quick to get ready, since I was excited about this; I had been waiting a while to meet his family, and was glad to finally be able to meet one of them.

I decided to go with a black skater dress, with a pair of long black socks, a pair of black pumps and a black sweater to go over it. Also to go with it, I used a black scarf, because you can never have too much black. I added some silver bangles and some necklaces that went with it. When I finished getting dressed, I started on my hair, shaping it into a messy bun, though it was neat enough to look approachable. Once finishing that and adding a simple bit of makeup, I exited the bedroom to see Dex had made himself comfy on the couch.

"Ready?" He asked with a smirk.

"Yup." I smiled.

"Finally." He joked, standing up and grabbing his jacket.

The journey to the train station took longer than it usually did; it felt so long, but maybe that was because of how nervous I felt. I didn't realise I was until we were in the car, on the way to meet her. I guess Dex noticed I was, because he reached a hand over mine, though continued to keep focus on driving, and smiled.

"You'll be fine. She'll love you." He glanced at me for a moment.

"I hope so."

There was a long silence for most part of the journey, and it did put me on edge for a moment. Dex decided he had enough of the silence, putting the radio on; one of the songs we both loved came on, so we sang along to High Hopes by Panic! At The Disco. It put my nerves on hold for at least the remainder of the journey and it gave us both a laugh. As soon as we arrived at the train station, however, the nerves suddenly came flooding back. I hadn't even noticed Dex had stopped the car and gotten out. Only when he opened my door, taking my hand, did I notice.

"C'mon, pet." He smiled, "She'll be coming into the station soon."

"Okay." I attempted a smile.

We entered the station, going to the gate she had told Dex that she was going to come out of. Gate 8 we stood near, waiting for about 5 minutes before people started exiting the gate. It wasn't long before a golden blonde girl, who was very tall, exited through the gate. I could tell she was related to Dex because she had the jawline and his signature frown when in thought. She looked around, before she spotted Dex, and approached.

It was safe to say my heart was in my mouth. Anxious thoughts ran through my head.