Chapter 3

From that point of starting to get to know him, I fell hard and fast. I guess I can say I hid how I felt toward him very well, though was obvious to those people closest to me. He, though, didn't return those feelings. At least, not as fast as I did. Evident from the way his eyes followed after girls that were to walk past him. They tended to be tall, model like girls - which I was not -. He went after them, leaving me to sit by myself, later texting me a massive apology text for the way he left. Of course, I'd accept it, but that didn't mean I wasn't jealous of those girls.

This didn't help with the way my anxiety and depression was either. Constantly put myself down over the situation. It was kinda like there was a Jekyll and Hyde me inside my head - my usual self being Jekyll in these situations. I would be told by myself that I wasn't 'pretty enough' for him or that it made sense he ditched me for girls like that, because I'm boring and not worth his time or anyone's for that matter; the insult usually depended on how I felt on that day.

For example, one morning Dex came to me, while I when I was just getting off shift. He had such an excited look to him, and at the time I was curious to what it was that had him in such a mood. I grabbed my bag from the back, walking out to him. We walked back to my place for the evening, well going to his car first.

"Hey, Kay; do you think it would be weird if I asked you to meet someone for me?" He began, but I knew where this was going; he found someone.

"Uh, I guess..." I looked to the ground.

"Well, would you mind meeting Jennifer? She's my new girl, and I'd love for my best friend to meet her... Tell me what she thinks..." Dex grinned; he paused, looking at me with a puzzled expression.

"Uh... Sure, I guess that would be a good idea." I gave a noncommittal shrug, eyes still to the ground; they shoot up, when I hear Dex laugh, "What's funny?"

His short laugh made my gaze stay focused on him; he answered with, "You know, I was just remembering the time we went to get lunch... but they were doing a discount..."

"Most places do discounts, Dex." I sourly told him.

"I know, but it was a couple's discount that day, and we just went around pretending to be a couple for the rest of the day..." Dex smiled, "It was fun... But, you remember during the dinner when they messed our order up."

"It's how you found out I was allergic to asparagus.... My face went all puffy... It was embarrassing.." I pouted, though felt my lips form a smirk; it was funny when I looked back on it, to be honest, "But, it is rather funny now..."

"I was about ready to leap up and give you CPR, to be honest." He chuckled, "Thought I'd get to be a hero."

I laughed, "Sure, I doubt you was."

"It's a fact." He smiled; he pulled me into a hug, "And that's the smile I love to see."

"Oh, remember the time you thought it a good idea to go bird watching even though it was scheduled to rain that day..." I grinned, "You were so excited when you heard of the migration of those swallows, you refused to listen to the weather forecast..."

"You didn't say no either." He raised an eyebrow at me, a small smirk playing at his lips.

"Well... you're the bird nerd." I smirked, sticking my tongue out at him.

"And yeah, I remember that day. We actually got stuck in the rain... ended up hiding under a bunch of trees for cover, though you did nick my coat cause you were a plonker in forgetting your own.." He smirked.

"It did turn out fun though, right? I found it fun, after a while." I looked up at him, a smile on my face.

"Of course. Rather liked when we played I Spy. " He paused in thought, "Though, I found it hilarious how you somehow fell asleep in that."

"The only replies we gave was tree..." I raised an eyebrow at him, smirking.

"Yeah...But, it at least provided entertainment for us." He chuckled, "Like I spy something log shaped?"

"Tree!" I giggled; he laughed in response.

I figured due to me pausing and the worried expression on my face, Dex thought to ask, "Something on your mind, luv?"

"I guess...Nah, it doesn't matter..." I shrugged.

"No, something's wrong. Tell me." He stopped us both, standing in front of me with his hands on my shoulders.

"It's my landlord; he's suddenly decided he doesn't want me keeping pets in the building... and I have nowhere for Toffee to go... I don't want to get rid of him, but I also can't afford to move.."

"I'll take him." Dex stated, "I'll keep him at my place, then you can see him whenever you want."

"You will? What about his food and all that?"

"I'll do that, when you can't." He smiled.

"Thanks, Dex!" I immediately hug him out of happiness; I got to keep my Guinea Pig in a sense.

"Don't mention it, sweet 'eart. We can take him now if you want? Car's round corner anyway, so it wouldn't be that hard." He grinned, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah, why not. It'll be a lot better for him too, since he'll be able to settle down quicker. C'mon then, bird nerd."