Chapter 41 ~ Crazy Attracts Crazy

Two months later and it felt like nothing changed. Katherine was tormented with the thoughts of Shaydon, but she'd promised to Benji that no matter what, that was a secret they would take to the grave. It wasn't their business any more. They got their answers. No matter how many times she'd screamed in his face, demanding that the right thing to do was go to the police, his simple response was.

"No matter what we do from here on out, Shaydon will never come back. All what we're doing is giving the murderer justice."

He wasn't wrong, but he wasn't right either. Spencer held them close, hugging them to what felt like hours of just staying in his arms, but it was only minutes of them standing out front of Katherine's porch that night.

Days passed, forming into monstrous weeks, tiring ones at that. Katherine ran out of her house every night and every night either Benji or Collin drove her back. Alex and her were steady, not friends, not enemies, but just slowly making a progress at a friendship. Indy was in and out, disappearing from society, yet always finding his way into the group one way or another. Spencer hadn't asked Reese, every time he chickened out. Fearing that Reese would just reject him in the end and they already had such an amazing friendship. So he didn't even ask him to prom.

Katherine on the other hand, believed she was going to be going single, possibly joining along with Alex and Bianca. Amber was asked out by Spencer who wanted to go just as friends. Nonetheless, a few weeks before prom, the group gathered in their usual circle. 

Collin tilting his head, "Truth or dare, shorty?"

Katherine rolled her eyes in response to that name, she never really was one for saying dare. But something called a gut instinct made her, "Dare."
He nodded slowly, "Not how I planned this, but I dare you to go to prom with me." The cocky smirk curved at his lips.

Indy scoffing, interrupting the question, "Forcing a girl to go to prom with you? Damn Bechel, it steeps low-"

Collin ignored him, everybody seemed to drown out his insult, waiting for Katherine's answer. She looked down at her lap, if only Shaydon could see her now. However, she knew Collin wasn't daring her, it was a question underneath, a nervous one at that. 

"Challenge accepted." Lips tugging into a smile as Collin winked at her in reply then innocently faced Indy.

"I'm sorry, did you say something?" Collin rose a brow, watching as Indy pushed himself up off the floor.

"I'm gonna go get some fresh air-"

Collin snorted, "Don't choke-" 

Indy lunged towards Collin, screams rose from everyone surrounding. Collin's hands gripped onto his friend's wrists, bruises had to from as Collin jolted when one of Indy's fists collided with his cheekbone. Collin stumbled off the floor, shoving Indy's back against the wall, beckoning quietly, "Wanna try that again?"

Indy squirmed away from Collin, pushing him away and brushing off the imaginary dust and storming out the door, slamming it behind him as he left. Alex watched as he exited the room, leaping up off the ground herself.
"Where are you going?" called Kat.

Alex tensed, she didn't know, "Just, getting a drink," she lied before fiddling with the doorknob and jogging down the steps to the back porch, abandoned. Only Indy slouched over the railing, beer bottle in hand, the condensation building up around his palm. She opened the screen door, stepping out into warm breeze, chilling the March air. "Hey Indy-"

He jerked up, "If you're gonna try and piss me off-" he threatened, swinging around to face her, narrowing his eyes at her smaller figure.

"What? No." She held her hands up in surrender, hesitantly walking to stand beside him, enjoying the view of the beach in the distance. "I swear. I was just checking to see if you're okay."