Chapter 39 ~ Girl Code

"Hey Alex, there you are-I tried calling you, but you never picked up-" Kat spoke eagerly, but Alex's shoulder brushed past hers. Katherine's eyes following after longingly. "Alex!" she called, jogging after, but she swung around, face flushed with redness.

"I'm done, Kat," she stated, shaking her head profusely. "I need a break. We have to take a break. I'm done." She shook the feeling away, voice croaking through the whisper as the bell of their lunch period went off through the building, silencing the both of them.

"What do you mean?" Katherine narrowed her eyes at her friend, "I don't understand. What makes you done?"

"Us?" Alex reminded.

"Is this about Desmond?" she lowered her tone, but Alex just scoffed in reply.

"I don't know if you can tell, but you're grieving your ex, you're mixed with a crowd of people I don't really hang or fit in with. We're at two different areas in two different lives. I'm realizing that my crush won't ever like me back, you on the hand is sleeping with the fuckboy of the school-"

"What? Who told you that?"

"Indy. He said he saw you two making out in the classroom, it doesn't matter. But we need a break. You're an amazing friend Kat, but recently, we haven't been like we used to. I think it's best if we just separate for a little while, at least till you've sorted things out."

Katherine's lips parted. "So, I lost Shaydon because he killed himself and I'm not the same girl I used to be, that's why you're leaving me?"

"Well, when you word it like that-"

"That's how it is."

"Don't play the victim," she deadpanned angrily, jabbing her index finger into the air. "Cause I can do that too. I know you're going through your shit so when I had nobody to drive me home for the first time, when I was on the opposite side of town, I called Reese, the only other person I had, but he was busy because he was with Spencer. Then I thought I should call you, but you never picked up. I walked home that night. But I'm okay, because I'm not going through anything what you're going through," she started sounding sarcastic. 

Continuing on with her rave, "Because it's about you. It's your world. I mean, it doesn't matter that my parents are getting a divorce, because your father left you. I mean, it's not a competition but at the same time it will always be that. Me struggling about liking my crush, that's like nothing to you. You already have every guy you want, wanting to be with you. I love you Kat, but we can't work right now. I can't be there for you, when you're not even asking if I'm okay. It's just everything I do, I feel like you're treating me like the inexperienced younger sister and I'm done."

Tears glossed her vision, pooling heavily beneath her eyes, "Alex, is this how you really feel?"

She scoffed in reply, "No, it's just a whole bunch crap that I made up." She stormed away and out of the hallway, pushing open the double doors to the building. She'd never ditched. She didn't believe it in. She never liked it when Katherine left school early, but when she disappeared, a pain shot through inside of her. She wanted to apologize, but she couldn't get the words to form if she wanted to. She stood still for a moment, breathing.

She had to take a minute to process the words that Alex said so naturally. It pained her to know. One by one a tear fell from her eyes till the waterfall released. She ran down the hallway. Stomping her feet into the tiles, breaking character and falling into the abyss she knew she would never come out of. It was the truth, she became so warped into her life, she didn't even ask how Benji was doing, didn't care to wonder about Spencer, Reese, or even check up on the asshole himself, Indy. She lived in her own world, if it wasn't for the holidays, she may've never noticed how her mother felt.