Chapter 4 ~ We Can Relate

Her eyes wandered to the window, curtains draped over the glass, a breeze blowing them further into the room. Another ping noise rang throughout, instinctively pushing herself up, walking over to the window, spotting Reese and Spencer. She narrowed her eyes with confusion, squealing the window open.

"What are you guys-"
Reese interrupted her, cocking his head, "Bitch, we're worried about you. Besides, Alex has been trying to text you for the past hour..." he muttered from the ground below. Her bedroom was on the second floor, her head hung over the window sill looking down on them.

"Shit," she cursed under her breath lowly. She slipped her phone out from her back pocket, spotting the list of messages. "I'm sorry, I've been busy," she apologized.

Reese shrugged, "It's fine. Wanna join us? We're all going to the cafe."

Her eyes narrowed and eyebrows raising. "We're all...?" she repeated expectantly, exchanging a quick glance with Spencer.

Spencer nodded, "Yeah, Bianca, Collin, Amber, Indy, and Benji."

She hesitated, glancing down to the window sill; Looking back with a more nervous expression. "I-I'm not sure."
Reese scrunched his nose in distaste, "Why, is everything alright?" he asked nervously, "Come down, please?" he asked at the end. She pursed her lips, nodding her head and slamming her window shut. She hurried down the steps, running out the front door, Alice watching her daughter with a longing gaze. Even after Katherine slammed the front door shut, her eyes stayed wandering on the place she once stood.

Katherine jogged out to stand before Spencer and Reese. She waited for a moment, Reese sighing. "As I was saying. Are you okay? You seem more on edge-"

"I'm fine," she snapped aggressively. "I don't know why people keep asking me that." She brushed it off, Spencer and Reese exchanging a nonchalant glance. Before getting her attention back on them. She rolled her eyes, "I guess I'll go-"
"You don't have to go," Spencer sympathized. "We would love it if you came though-"

Katherine shot Reese a look as if she wanted double reassurance. He nodded swiftly, but before he could get the words out, Katherine had replied. "You twisted my arm," she chuckled, attempting to prove to them that she could be in a good mood. "I don't have money-"
Reese laughed in reply, "Got that covered." A smirk curving at his lips. "Plus, Spencer's driving-"
"Spencer..." She murmured under her breath, shooting them both a glare.

Spencer's eyes widened, laughing along with his comment. "I know, I just got my license, but I'm not that bad of a driver-"

Katherine jumped, shaking her head with a distant snicker, "No, you just made it sound like Spencer's driving more people-"

"Would that be a bad thing...?" Spencer cocked his brow hesitantly. "I'm driving Alex and Benji."

He had said it. Saying the name so effortlessly making her breath hitch. She didn't want to reunite with Benji, especially after that conversation they had earlier that day. She couldn't back out now, although their nervous glances had her suggesting otherwise. She sighed, nodding her head. "No, I'm ready," She gave a faint smile before following after Reese and Spencer towards the car, seeing Alex and Benji in the back seat.

She opened the car door, forced to sit next to Benji. She kept her eyes locked on the window, drifting in and out of a daze. He shifted uncomfortably, catching her attention.

"What?" she asked lowly, hopeful to not get everyone else in the car involved.

Benji just gave a light shrug in reply, "You're not mad at me... Are you?"

She shook her head with a sigh, "No, just worked up."

He made a small noise in agreement, "Aren't we all?" he questioned half-heartedly, nudging her shoulder slightly. "Listen, I'm sorry. Just remember, we can relate to this."