Fade - Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

Ciel retracts his hand as Sebastian turns, his smirk faltering.

Sebastian nods, motioning for Ciel to follow him. He walks to the outside of the circle, being careful to only step on the edges of the earth. Ciel looks down at his feet, noticing the soil's red tint. The smell of iron hits him, the faint odor of death and decay lingering. His stomach churns and his head spins as he stops in his tracks.

The ground is soaked with blood. Human blood.

Ciel gasps, stumbling backwards to the edges, the soft vines and moss padding the impact.

"Ciel-"

Sebastian swiftly tends to him, kneeling down beside the frightened child.

"What's wrong?"

Ciel points into the circle, shielding his eyes from the disturbing scene. For a moment, the child feels regret and remorse wash over him, panic flooding his bones and filling his eyes with tears if the past.

This is where he would have ended up if it weren't for that spider. This is where his lover would've devoured his soul without a second glance. This is where Sebastian's hunger would've been satisfied.

"Th-this is where you- I was go- why? Why would you-"

His panic stricken mind runs rampant, imagining his fellow humans being tortured to death by retched, ugly creatures with whips, hanging men with thorns and snakes.

"Shhh! Ciel, please stop and liste-"

"No!"

Ciel covers his mouth with his shaking hand, the fingers of his other gripping Sebastian desperately.

The tears start to flow as the horrid scenes flash in a slideshow of horror before him, baring their fangs. His mother and father- killed by and angel of death... their souls perishing in the same, disgusting way. He never would have imagined the terrible truth, yet it hits him hard, shaking his body in a relentless sob.

His parents were killed by demons, and he is sure of this fact... yet whether or not Sebastian had anything to do with it doesn't matter in the moment.

"M-Mother! Father! Please!"

His incoherent gasping results in the child calling out for the ones in which he has mourned for years. The sadness and nostalgia grips his chest tightly, seemingly laughing at the pathetic fit of reverence.

"Ciel!"

"No! No no no no!"

He attempts to fight Sebastian's embrace off, yet he fails and is encased within a hug.

"Shh... little Ciel"

And Sebastian begins to sing,

"Child of mine
rest in my arms
'till the dawn
wakes the shadows
that play on the lawn
Close your eyes
and say goodnight
sleep 'fore the morn
don't dream of the darkness
don't dream of the storm.

With a wish upon your shoulder
with my loving embrace
my gentle caress
sleep befalls young lad of mine
let your tired young mind fall into rest."

As his voice resonates softly, Ciel's breath begins to slow... his trembling ceasing and his sobs quieting.

"Shh... there we are."

Ciel lifts his face from Sebastian's chest, his eyes puffed and swollen.

"I-I'm sorry."

He whimpers, his cheeks flushing.

"It's quite alright... if you'd just let me explain a few things."

Ciel nods.

"Your parents-"

He sighs deeply, closing his eyes briefly.

"I did not do your parents in, Ciel. I did not have any part in their murders, nor did I manipulate the situation to achieve your soul. I was not present at their deaths, and I never intended harm onto you... ever. You see, this is where demons come to... dine... on their... prey."

He is cautious with his words, his mannerisms carefully precise. Ceil's fearful eyes look deeply into his, searching for something unknown.

"I love you, Ciel. I would never attempt to hurt you in any way."

Sebastian's eyes are pleading with Ciel to understand, his voice on the verge of begging through the words which emote ferocity.

"I was a different demon, then. I knew your value only as sustenance."

Ciel's eyes begin to shed their tears quicker, his mouth opening in protest before he is hushed by Sebastian's continuing words.

"Remember, though the dynamics between us have shifted, our contract remains. You may perceive my explanation as brutal, but I shall still never lie to you. Yes, I intended to consume your soul. Yes, I lusted after you on an animalistic drive. Yes, I love you, and I do believe I always have. Ciel, you know me more than anyone else does, so please believe me when i say that we have both changed... for the better."

CIel's eyes calm, and his eyes fill with understanding. He knows the painful truth of their beginning, yet he is equally aware of the present berth. No words could possibly articulate what his mind is spinning, so he simply nods as he embraces Sebastian tightly.

"I love you, too."