Chapter Four: Off to Sodor

Mulai dari awal

'Gordon's Hill' is one of the most difficult climbs and descents on Sodor. It's over a distance of 8km (5 miles), the line climbing around 100m (280ft) from Suddery Junction to reach Maron, meaning a gradient of 1:75, so it's always a severe test for engines.

Braedey climbed up the tracks to the top of the hill, now seeing the landscape around him. He then crested over the top of the hill, and being quick, shuts off his regulator, puts his reverser into reverse, and began applying his brakes, slowing his speed down the descent of the hill. With a bend down at the bottom of the hill, he didn't want to risk flying off the tracks. He managed to reach the bottom at a cautious 30mph, then once reaching the bottom, he gets back up to speed, and continued on down the mainline.

"Boy, that's one heck of a hill to traverse." Braedey thought aloud, taking a deep breath, all the while going on down the line. "I'd hate to see the others try and get up a hill like that."

Braedey continued on, now whizzing on through Wellsworth Station, catching the attention of some of the engines of the NWR, who whistled to him, and he whistled back to them. The GWR 4900 engine soon carried on through Crosby Station, and eventually, he arrived at what was Knapford Station. 

Knapford Station has a large glass canopy roof in four sections. The station has six tracks total, four being through tracks and two being terminal tracks. The station has a refreshment kiosk, the Engine Drivers locker room, plus what could be an office, and a bookstall. The station also has signal gantries above the lines.

Braedey pulled into Platform 1 right on time, and came to a gentle and smooth stop

Braedey pulled into Platform 1 right on time, and came to a gentle and smooth stop. He looked around at the station, and he had to say, it definitely looked rather impressive and extravagant. It wasn't like home, but it oddly felt like so.

"Hello there. You must be the engine who covered for Gordon." Braedey looked towards the platform to where the voice came from.

Braedey looked to see a stout gentleman in a black suit outfit with a yellow shirt on underneath, as well as a white shirt underneath, a black tie, as well as dress shoes, and a top hat on his head.

"Oh. Indeed, I did, sir." Braedey smiled gently to the stout gentleman. He then looked curiously at the man. "Are you the controller of the North Western Railway?" He asked.

"Oh, yes. That, I am." The gentleman tipped his top hat to the GWR 4900 engine. "I am Sir Topham Hatt, controller of the North Western Railway." He then gave a small chuckle. "I'm also referred as 'The Fat Controller' by the engines here."

"What? Really?" Braedey gave a small chuckle. "I'm sorry, but that name is rather amusing to me, sir."

"It's quite alright, dear engine." Sir Topham reassured to Braedey. "It happens a lot for visiting engines. Well, I have to thank you for bringing the passengers home safe and sound." He thanked the crimson engine.