73. Farsight

Shifra's POV
We began our rather cheery journey east and everyone was in good spirits. Azar was soaring ahead and making shapes in the sky by setting her wings on fire and extinguishing them to make certain shapes. Jill and Jewel walked together behind myself and Tirian while Eustace and Poggin walked behind them. Puzzle walked just behind Eustace and Poggin, but was taking part in their conversation.

"This reminds me of the olden times," I commented.

"Which olden times?" Tirian asked with a smile, "You have a lot of those."

I playfully hit his shoulder and retorted, "Tirian I do believe you just called me old."

"Well that is kind of what you're famous for," he countered.

I raised an eyebrow and asked, "Oh so not for my skill in battle? How I've helped Narnia numerous times through the years?"

"Nope," he replied, "your age and your humility."

I hit him again and chuckled along with him. "I was referring to when Frank and Helen ruled back at the very beginning. I was only fifteen then."

"How did they decide to make you general?"

"Well, I don't exactly remember, but I think it was because I had spent many years teaching myself to fight. I was the most experienced swordsman or swordswoman in this case, so they decided I was their best option," I explained.

"Which rule have you enjoyed the most?" he asked.

"Hmm," I replied, thinking carefully, "Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy's. That is when I have the best memories, aside from ours." Tirian smiled and we walked on in pleasant silence. "Do you think we'll get out of this?" I asked, turning somber.

"Of course," he replied, "we just get the small army Roonwit has for us and then take care of those thirty Calormens. Then Narnia is ours again." After a short pause, he asked, "Do you not?"

"I do not know," I replied honestly, "A horrible feeling stricks me whenever I think of what will happen when we go to the stable. I haven't felt this afraid since the Stone Table." As we continued walking, he wrapped his arm around my waist in comfort.

Before he could say anything, Azar called, "Freeze, another soars the skies near." We did as Azar recommended and watched as an eagle flew above us.

"I dare swear," spoke Jewel, "by it's flight it is a talking bird."

"So think I," agreed Tirian, "but is it a friend or a spy of the ape's?"

"To me, sires," Poggin commented, "it has a look of Faresight the eagle."

Eustace went to move, but Azar spoke before he could, "Stay still Son of Adam. He shall for sure see us should we move."

"Look, he wheels," said Jewel, analyzing the bird's movements, "He has seen us already. He's coming down in circles." I quickly moved some throwing knives into my palm to throw at a moment's notice, but otherwise remained still.

The eagle landed a few feet from Azar and spoke in it's strange eagle's voice, "Hail my king! Hail my queen!"

"Hail Faresight," Tirian greeted, "and since you call me king, I may well believe you are not a follower of the ape and his false Aslan. I am right glad of your coming."

"Sires," the eagle replied looking sorrowful, "when you have heard my news, you will be far sorrier of my coming than of the greatest woes that ever befell you." I felt my heart rate spike as I heard his words. I grabbed hold of Tirian's hand after I had put away my knives and braced myself for whatever he was to say.

"Tell on," Tirian requested. He had paled and I could tell he was as frightened as I.

"Two sights have I seen," Faresight began. I shut my eyes harshly to block out whatever he was going to tell us. "One was Cair Paravel filled with dead Narnians and living Calormens: the Tisroc's banner advanced upon your royal battlements: and your subjects flying from the city, this way and that, into the woods. Cair Paravel was taken from the sea. Twenty great ships of Calormen put in there in the dark of the night before last night."

I felt tears streaming down my face, but through them, without opening my eyes, I asked, grief filling ever word, "And the other?"

"And the other sight," Faresight answered, "five leagues nearer than Cair Paravel, was Roonwit the Centaur lying dead with a Calormen arrow in his side. I was with him in his last hour and he gave me this message to your majesties: to remember that all worlds draw to an end and that a noble death is a treasure with no one is too poor to buy."

"So," I whispered, but it was so quiet that no one struggled to hear me, "Narnia is no more." I slowly opened my eyes and felt a dread fill very muscle and bone in my body.

"But," Eustace suddenly cut in, "Doesn't that mean you can die now?"

"I do not know," I replied, "but either way, the end of this world draws near. I will die before the end of this." No one spoke, but when I began to walk towards the stable, first Tirian and then all the others followed after me. No one dared to ask me if I was ok. Everyone knew how much Narnia meant to me and none could imagine what it would feel like to know that your home for over 3,000 years was about to be gone.

After a time, Jewel commented, "Doubtless the ape has been in secret traffic with the Tisroc for long. The moment he found the lion's skin he must have sent word to the Tisroc to ready his navy to take Cair Paravel."

We all nodded in agreement, but Tirian stopped and turned to the children, "Friends, it is time for you to go hence into your own world. Doubtless you have done all that you were meant to do."

"But we've done nothing," protested Jill.

"Nay," Tirian countered, "you loosed myself and my wife from the tree, you glided like a snake last night through the trees and took Puzzle. And you, Eustace, killed your man, but you are too young to share in the bloody end we others must meet tonight, or it might be three days hence. I should be put to shame if I let such young warriors fall in battle at my side."

"No!" Jill continued to protest, "We won't, we won't. I don't care what you say. We're sticking with you no matter what happens, aren't we Eustace?"

"Yes, but there's no need to get so worked up about it," he replied. "Because you see, we haven't any choice. What's the good in talking about going back? How? We've got no magic for doing it!"

"Then you should go to King Levi and Queen Zori in Archenland," Tirian suggested.

"No use," I replied shaking my head, "They wouldn't know the way and besides, once the Tisroc has Narnia he will next take Archenland. I'm afraid there is no hope for my daughter and Godson."

"You have a daughter now?" Jill exclaimed.

"Adopted," I replied, "I wish there was a way to warn Levi, but I fear there is little use. What could he do?"

"They've already got us," a voice said from behind us. I turned my head to see Levi and Levian. I embraced both and looked them both in the face. They all looked tired and worn and sorrow filled both of their faces.

"Zori?" I asked breathlessly. Tears flowed from Levi's eyes and I knew what had happened. A sob echoed in that valley as I fell. I felt someone catch me, but my tears flowed too heavily for me to see who. My sorrow was so great I felt as though my heart had been ripped from my chest. "M-My child!" I sobbed out.

"Shh," Tirian's voice soothed, but it was no help.

"I-I'm sorry," Levi whispered through his own tears. "I-I tried to protect her and Cor, b-but they were too strong and they were in the courtyard when-when they stormed in. I-I'm so sorry, Godmother."

Soon my tears were spent and anger and grief were my only feeling left. "Let's go, we need to get to the stable," I stated. No one spoke as we began to walk again. Jill and Eustace walked together at the back, Puzzle and Poggin in front of them, Levi and Levian after them with Faresight, Tirian, Jewel, and I next with Azar on my shoulder.