20. Preparing for a Voyage

Shifra's POV
What awoke me the next morning was the sounds of bird chirping and the realization that my wings had become stiff. I slowly opened my heavy eyes and looked up. Caspian was still sound asleep, but even in sleep I saw a smile cross his face. He looked so peaceful, but I knew we both had to get up. With a small sigh, I cupped his cheek and whispered, "Casp."

I had to shake him before he woke up, and he had a few words for me. "Why," he groaned. "Five more minuets."

I giggled and replied, "No, Casp. We have to get up. They're probably already looking for us." He let out another groan and buried his face in the crook of my neck and tightly wrapped his arms around my waist. "Caspian, we have to," I exclaimed, my cheeks flaming. "And besides, my wings are beginning to cramp." That finally got him up.

We walked to the castle and soon just to work, but our wide grins did not go unnoticed by the courtiers. I was going over the plans for the Archenland feast with now Lord Cornelius when he interrupted me. "So we will seat King Nain by..."

"What has you and Caspian so happy today?" he asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"...and his sons... What?" He repeated his question. "Oh, well I guess just that we haven't had much time to spend together and chat like we used to. We went out and stargazed last night and we talked for a while." I could not help the grin that spread over my face.

"You know," Cornelius mused out loud, "many of the members of court are hoping that you and Caspian court each other."

I felt my cheeks grow hot and replied, "O-oh w-why is that?"

"Well the general of Narnia and the king. I have heard that many wanted you to court High King Peter or King Edmund back in the day," he replied. It was true that many had tried to pressure me to court them, but they were like brothers to me.

"Oh? W-well that is true, they did, but Caspian and I. I would think they would want him to try and marry a queen from some other country."

"Well," Cornelius revealed, "I think the Narnians are sick of seeing people from foreign countries on the throne who have not given them anything. They love Caspian, but that is because he is a fair king and he gave them back their home. They love you because of the service you have given to Narnia over the years. And also," here he paused for a moment, "they heard of Caspian's offer to you to retire. They admire and love you all the more for your refusal."

I nodded. That was one decision that I had never regretted. "Why are we even talking about this, we need to figure out everything for this feast. It's tonight." I worked tirelessly until lunch, my papers and plans spread over both desks in the room. The second one was technically supposed to be for Caspian should he ever wish to work in here, but I was the main one to use the room so I spread my work over both.

I was just getting hungry and looking for a stopping point when a soft knock at the door caught my attention. I did not look up, for I was scared of losing my focus and concentration before I finished this. "Come in, half a moment if you please," I replied to the knock. I heard the footfalls of who I took to be Caspian.

He politely waited for me to finish what I was doing and stood in front of my desk. When I was finally done, I looked up to see him grinning down at me. "What?" I asked.

Still grinning, he replied, "Nothing, just you look cute when your focused," and began to hand me the food he had brought. I often forgot to eat when I was working, so Caspian had started bringing food to me. "You know I still don't know why you are planning that feast. You're a general not the queen." After a pause I heard him mutter, "At least not yet."

"The court would be very happy," I replied to his quiet comment.

"What?" Caspian asked, looking confused.

I shrugged and elaborated, "Well from what I hear the courtiers want us to get married some day. They did the same when Peter and Edmund were king."

"Oh?" he asked with what I might describe as a slightly flirty smile. I stood up and looked up into his eyes.

"So, are we going to tell them?"

"Tell them that their wish is possibly coming true?" Caspian asked with the same flirty smile.

"No, that we're going on a voyage. Yes about us courting," I replied sarcastically. He laughed and pulled me close to him.

"I do actually want to go on a voyage though," he said, resting his chin on the top of my head and brushing through my hair with his fingers. "I want to sail and see Galma and Terebinthia and Redhaven and the Lone Islands. Maybe even sail beyond into the Great Eastern Sea."

"You shall," I whispered, "and I know that your dearest wish is to set out and find the seven lords of Telmar. We are at peace with everyone. Let us begin to prepare to set sail in a year's time."

He pulled away and looked into my eyes. "You would really go with me?" I nodded and next thing I knew Caspian had pressed his lips against mine. I smiled into the kiss, but it was over far sooner than I would had liked.

He pulled away and rested his forehead against mine and whispered, "Thank you."

"For what?" I asked, confused.

"For always supporting me and being there for me. You don't look down on me even when you could. You don't just tell me how to run Narnia, even though you are wise enough to do so, you teach me how to run it for myself, wisely, justly. I love you, more than I have loved anyone in my life," he had said all of this with his eyes still closed. It was as if he was scared about my reaction to his words, but he opened his eyes and saw me smiling back at him.

"You are a great king, Caspian," I whispered back, "That is not my doing, but your own. I may help to guild you along the way, but you are the true leader in Narnia and you could have done it without me. I may be a goddess, but you give my life meaning." He leaned in to kiss me again, but a knock at the door made us jump apart. "Come in!"

In came Trumpkin and behind him was King Nain of Archenland and his two sons, Corian and Cori. The two boys were only ten years old and when they saw me, they cried out, "Godmother!"

"Hey, boys," I replied. The two had rushed to embrace me tightly. I held on to them as they started talking about how they were learning to use a sword and ride and even a little archery.

"Now boys," King Nain interrupted, "Give Godmother room to breath." He embraced me also and said, "It is good to see you, Godmother."

"You as well, Nain," I replied, "It has been so long, but Caspian and I have been busy putting Narnia back to rights." Nain nodded and turned to Caspian and spoke with him while I talked with the boys.