40. Sailing to Romandu's Island

Shifra's POV
During the next few days we had all but forgotten the argument between us. The night after we fought, Edmund had apologized and all was right once again, but soon it faded even from memory. During these days the ship glided along the water with only gentle winds and no rowing. Even the waves had evolved into quiet ripples. The nights hold the memories that I hold dearest to my heart.

The known constellations had faded away and were replaced with different, brighter ones that shone beautifully in the night. They also seemed to give off some heat, for now we needed't sleep below deck for warmth. Instead we lay on deck and talked long into the nights. On one such occasion, I was sitting with Eustace on the steps leading up to the tiller.

"Shifra," he suddenly said, for while conversations went on around us we had hardly spoken a word, choosing instead to gaze at the new stars. "Did you know my cousins well? When they were here the first time I mean."

"I did," I replied, smiling at the memories that flooded into my mind. "I taught them all that they ever knew about how to handle a sword and bows for the girls. I did teach Lucy to use a sword though."

Eustace seemed like he wanted to ask me something, but hesitated. Finally he asked, "Why couldn't they come back, Peter and Susan I mean?"

I took in a deep breath before replying, "Well...I can't fully explain it, not in a satisfactory way anyhow, but Aslan said that their time was up." He seemed puzzled so I explained further. "Time in Narnia is a curious thing. It seems as though there is a certain age that you reach, whether that is a maturity or a physical age, after which you can't come back. Not in the normal sense anyways, but I know I shall see them again."

"How?" Eustace asked, "If they are to never come back, you can't see them again."

"Oh not in Narnia I won't, but beyond," I explained, "You shall know eventually."

"Would you ever want to leave here?" he asked.

"No," I replied, "Narnia is my home and it holds my heart. I suppose it also holds my life in a sense."

"How so?"

"Well, I have lived, oh a very long time, I honestly am not sure just how long now, but it must be...2,438 or so years if I'm correct," I replied. "But that time will not be up until this world ends." A long silence followed broken only by the sounds of the crew's laughter and their voices telling stories. "Eustace, what made you act so..."

"Bratty?" he supplied. "My school I would say. It's an odd place now that I think about it, but the head has this idea that we should be allowed to do as we please. At first I thought that was a splendid idea, but now..." He paused, but soon continued, "Some of the boys and girls there just want to bully everyone else. As it's a boarding school there isn't much of anywhere to hide from them so I just went along with it and soon...Well you saw what became of that."

"Sounds like a dreadful place," I said with a shutter. "Do you have any friends there?"

"No really, but there is this one person I'd like to be friends with because she seems so alone. I'd also like to apologize to her," he admitted.

"What's her name?"

Eustace looked at me as if trying to decide if I was mocking him, but told me anyways, "Jill Pole." After a pause he changed the subject. "What time in Narnia did you like most?"

"Hum," I thought. "Well...I honestly loved all of it, but if I had to choose. Probably right now." He asked me why so I continued. "Well here I have something I never had in the other times." I was staring off at Caspian as I said this. He was laughing with Edmund, Drinian, and the rest of the crew and he looked up and met my gaze.

"What's it like, to be in love?" Eustace asked, noticing the eyes contact that was now broken as I looked back at Eustace.

"It's not something I can really describe," I replied honestly, "I will say though that it can be hard, especially for me. I don't trust easily and to give you heart and soul to another is not an easy thing to do." Soon everyone was laying down on the deck and drifting off to sleep, but I could not help thinking over what I had told Eustace. I was soon back to wondering, is Rilian going to still be born without Lilianduil as his mother?

I soon drifted off, but my dreams were odd. I had come to be able to recognize when it was just a run of the mill dream and when it was a vision from my necklace, but this seemed to be both. I saw myself with another, a brave and courageous man, but he was clearly a great warrior. He had a wise face, but his eyes still held a kindness to them I had seen little in others.

Then I saw Caspian standing with a woman. She was pale girl in a stunning white dress. Her yellow hair steamed down her back and Caspian looked at her with such love...the way he once looked at me. My heart broke in my chest as I saw it, but something else told me that this was right, this was as it should be.

Caspian slipped a ring on her finger. My ring. The one he had given to me. Right before their lips met, consecrating their marriage, I jolted awake. It was still dark and no one else had awoken so I got up and stole into the cabin Lucy was occupying, although she had slept on the deck. When the door had shut behind me I felt tears fill my eyes and pain in my heart.

I did not understand. Caspian wouldn't make another trip out here so he was going to fall for Lilianduil during this trip. How would he forget me so quickly? As I continued to cry, I felt a velvety paw be placed on my shoulder and looked up to see two great, golden eyes.

I buried my face in his mane and continued to cry. When I had quieted, Aslan said in his deep voice, "It is not as bad as you fear. Caspian does not forget you, rather I make him do so, but you have time with him before then."

"Will you make me forget as well?" I asked, hoping that he would.

"If that is your wish I can do so, but know this: When the world ends you will see him again and he will remember everything, as will you." I nodded.

"How long?" I asked, looking away from him.

"When you reach the end of the world the memory of your love for one another shall fade from all that knew of it apart from those not in this world," he replied. "I think the others will be waking soon now and you will find the land you seek soon as well." With that he was gone.
............................
There you go! Hope this was a good chapter and feel free to comment!