7. The Waiting

Shifra's POV
I had told my closest friend what had happened and that the children, at least one of them, had been spotted in Narnia. Then I set out on my mission. I watched as Lucy entered for a second time and Edmund followed her. I wished I could stop what was happening, but knew I could screw everything up if I did so I remained in my tree watching and waiting.

It was hard for me to not be able to be free. I could not show myself and I could not even fly freely, but everyday I became more hopeful as I watched the children leave for the second to last time through the wardrobe. It was a week later that I saw them all enter. I was very weak now from staying invisible for so long and from malnutrition, but my dearest friends slipped me what they could for they were struggling for food as well although for different reasons.

My wings were now stiff from holding the tree for so long, so I held it with my arms instead and let my wings hang to the ground. The children left for the fawn's house and I followed, desperately trying to stay a flight without being seen or heard. I followed the children as they spoke with the beaver as well and followed them and stayed out of sight until we were a few minuets from the damn.

As I was trying to fly my abilities suddenly gave out and I found myself tumbling down to the soft snow. Mr. Beaver and the children jumped when they saw and heard my fall. "It's a spy from the witch!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed with fear.

"No!" I exclaimed weakly, "I am General Shifra, second in command to Aslan. Please, I need help. I can prove it to you!"

"How?" a dirty blond haired boy asked. He seemed about thirteen. Peter.

"I saw the world begin," I started struggling to get up, "I was with Digory, Polly, and Fledge when they flew with me to the garden."

"Anyone who knows their history knows that," the beaver retorted.

"I beg of you to hear me," I pleaded, breathing heavily, "I know who all of you are and I know everything. You are Peter, Susan, Edmund, and...L-Lucy." As I spoke her name, my strength gave out and I fell unto the snow and everything went black.
.........................................
Mr. Beaver's POV
"What are we going to do?" Peter asked. I looked at the girl.

"Well she may very well be who she says she is," I admitted, "She has the wings and something in my mind is telling me so."

"So you just believe voices in your head?" Edmund questioned rudely.

I replied, "No, not when it's my own voice, but this voice...it's too wild to be me. Come help me with her, lets get her inside. The witch would never starve one of her own people and this girl looks pretty close to it." With the help of Peter and very begrudging Edmund, we got her inside and began to make dinner.
...........................
Shifra's POV
I awoke to the smell of the most wonderful food I had had or smelled in days. I could smell frying fish and boiling potatoes. I even caught a slight smell of the marmalade roll that Mrs. Beaver had put in the oven. I knew exactly where I was. I opened my eyes slowly and sat up.

Far too quickly it seems, for the edges of my vision became like static on a tv screen and my head pounded. I heard the caring voice of Mrs. Beaver as she said, "Oh you poor dear. You look as though you haven't had something to eat in a long time. Your poor wings look so weak and fragile." I glanced back at them and saw that she was right. I had not eaten anything in the last week, I had half of the food I normally did the week before that and my normal portions were about two thirds of the portions of a normal person who didn't have two extra body parts attached to them.

She gently helped me to the table, where everyone else was now sitting. Peter and Susan stiffened at the sight of me, but when they saw how friendly Mrs. Beaver was being to me, they tried to relax. I was dished out a very generous portion of everything by Mrs. Beaver and she made sure I ate all of it. When the marmalade roll was brought out, I had a hard time convincing Mrs. Beaver that I could not have eaten it even if I wanted to.

I felt like I was going to throw up, but I was somehow managing to keep it down. While we were eating, the four children were brought up to speed on who I was. When they all heard that I was a general and had been alive for over a thousand years, Edmund remarked, "Why would anyone make a general out of you? You're just a girl." I wanted to do one of those moments in movies when a character is doubted for battle skills and they throw a knife with perfect aim to prove them wrong, but I held in my impulses.

When all had finished eating, Mr. Beaver started to explain everything to the children. When they finally notice that Edmund had gone, I interviewed and told Peter, "There is no use suggesting search parties. I know exactly where he's gone."

"Where?" all three of them asked.

Sharing a glance with Mr. Beaver, I replied, "I have long known where you lot would appear, I even had a rough idea when, so for the past year or so I have been staking out that lamp post and watching it like a hawk. I saw when you, Lucy, entered both times. I saw Edmund come in. I saw him speaking with the witch, and I heard what he said too."

"What are you saying?" Susan asked, fear in her voice.

Taking in a deep breath and looking away from the children I said, "He has betrayed your majesties and gone to the white witch. She gave him enchanted food that draws him to her. He in now under her spell, but he will find an icier welcome than he hoped. He was meant to bring all of you, but he felt he could not, so Jadis will not be pleased."

"What will she do to him!" Lucy cried, tear beginning to form.

I was quiet for a long time, wondering what to tell them. Finally I replied, "He will be back with you soon, but for the time being we must be off. The witch will send her secret police after us soon."

"That," replied Mr. Beaver, "is proof." We all looked confusedly at him. "General and Lady Shifra was known for her long silences and wise answers. I have no doubt that you are who you claim to be. It is an honor, General." The beaver nodded his head deeply and moved to pack for the journey. Peter was looking at me curiously.

"Wait," he asked, "If you were a general during the time of the kings and queens of Narnia and there has been winter and snow during the white witch's reign then you must be over a hundred years old. How is that possible?"

"I am over a thousand actually. I have been here since the dawn of time itself. Aslan granted me long life. As long as Narnia lives so do I."

Susan spoke next, asking, "So you're like the physical embodiment of Narnia itself?"

I though for a moment and replied, "I suppose, but these are not the sort of questions you should asking. We need to go." With that, we set off. I flew now that I had the energy to. When I had set off and rendered myself invisible, everyone had thought I was gone, but I made myself appear again and then they paid me no mind.

We traveled and traveled and as I noticed Lucy getting sleepy, I landed and carried her in my arms until we got to the old hiding place used by the beavers. We all tumbled in and soon were asleep.