71. Dwarves

Azar's POV
From my perched position on my lady's shoulder I could see most everything rather well, but an uncomfortable feeling had settled in my feathers. The two at the front raised their spears in salute and greeted the king, saying, "O my master, we lead these manikins to Calormen to work in the mines of the Tisroc, my he live forever."

"By the great god Tash, they are very obedient," King Tirian commented, then turning to the dwarves themselves, he added, "Has the Tisroc fought a great battle, dwarves, and conquered your land? That thus you go patiently to die in the salt pits of Pugrahan?"

The two soldiers glared in shock at my lord's words, but the dwarves spoke before they could, "Aslan's orders, Aslan orders, he's sold us. What can we do against him?"

"Tisroc indeed," a dwarf spat, "I'd like to see him try it."

"Silence, dog!" yelled one of the soldiers. My lord then pulled forth the donkey and explained to them that is was all a lie.

As I watched the dwarves faces, however, I knew this would not end in our favor. "My Queen," I said quietly in her ear, "I fear this will not end to our liking." She nodded and I saw her eyes begin to scan the faces of the dwarves.

"I agree," she replied, "but I do not think they would fight us."

"They would not join us either, my lady," I replied.

"Give us the password," demanded one of the soldiers. My king began to shout, but Queen Shifra drew her sword and made ready for an attack. Flying from her shoulder, I dove at one of the rear soldiers, lighting my wings as I did so. I let out a terrible cry that seemed to send chills down the soldiers spine. I landed on his shoulder and instantly pecked the eyes out of his sockets.

He let out a scream, but soon the dwarves began to beat him up. Flying from his should, I flew back to my king and queen to find them cleaning their swords. I landed on my lady's shoulder and waited. "Now, dwarves, you are all free," began the king, "Tomorrow I will lead you all to free Narnia. Three cheers for Aslan."

But only a few of the dwarves even tried to cheer, and the rest either remained silent or let out a sulky growl. Jill exclaimed in confusion, "Don't you understand? You're free, you can have fun again. Didn't hear what the king said? Aren't you glad?"

Then a dwarf with a black beard by the name of Griffle spoke up, "And who might you be missie?" He was the chief dwarf, but he was not well liked by the other chiefs or even by all of his dwarfs.

"I'm Jill," the foolish girl replied, "The same Jill who rescued King Rilian from the enchantment. And this is Eustace was did it too, and we've come back after hundreds of years. Aslan sent us."

Sharing an amused look with one of the other Black Dwarves, Griffle replied, "Well, I don't know how all you chaps feel, but I feel I've heard as much about Aslan as I want to for the rest of my life."

"That's right," growled the other dwarves, but my sharp eyes noticed another dwarf to the side. He simply remained silent and twirled his beard with his finger, not agreeing or disagreeing with his fellow dwarves. As the rest of them continued talking, I simply watched him.

"Not a tame lion, not a tame lion," the other dwarves were jeering, "that's what the other lot kept telling us." The dwarf's daw clenched, but he remained calm.

"You mean you don't believe in the real Aslan?" Jill asked incredulously. "But I've seen him and he has sent us two from another world." The dwarf's eyes widened slightly and an awed look crossed his face, but Griffle replied making him pull his face back to indifference.

"Ah," Griffle replied mockingly, "So you say. They've taught you your stuff all right. Saying your lessons ain't you?"

"Churl," my king exclaimed, "will you give a lady the lie to her face?"

"I would not have expected such behavior from a dwarf," my Queen commented quietly.

"Oh well I'm sorry to disappoint you," Griffle replied, giving her a mocking look. It was clear he didn't actually care. "And you, keep a civil tongue in your head mister. I don't think we want any more kings or queens. If you are Tirian and Shifra, which you don't look like them, no more than we want any Aslans. We're going to look after ourselves from now on."

The dwarves began to walk off and the dwarf I had noticed before followed hesitantly. "Come," Queen Shifra entreated sadly. The two children went first with Puzzle the donkey, then King Tirian and Jewel, followed my Queen Shifra and myself. My king rested his hand on Jewel's shoulder and the unicorn would occasionally nuzzle his cheek to comfort him, but neither spoke.

I quickly noticed some heavy footsteps behind us. Softly, I informed, "Sires, there come up behind us one would could be friend or foe."

"Who goes there?" King Tirian shouted.

"Only me, sire," answered a voice, "Me, Poggin the dwarf. I've only just managed to get away from the others. I'm on your side sire, and yours Queen Shifra and Aslan. I'm willing to fight for Narnia, sires."

Everyone brightened, and crowded around the dwarf, but I cut in before much else could be said, "Forgive me sires, but I fear we must be off unless we wish to be in the open at dawn." The others quickly agreed and we headed off once again. Just before dawn, we arrived at a tower. I instantly soared to the battlements and went to sleep.
................................................
Shifra's POV
Azar left my shoulder and flew to the top of the tower. Jewel and Puzzle decided to sleep outside the tower and the rest of us retreated into the tower and into one of the bunks. I slept for four hours before rising from my bunk and leaving the tower. Poggin, Jewel, Puzzle, and Azar were already up and talking.

"Good morning," I greeted, combing through my hair with my fingers to rid it of the knots.

"Good morning, your majesty," replied four voices.

"Please," I replied, "Just Shifra, I was General for longer than I've been queen." They all chuckled at that and continued their conversation. Poggin was working on some birds he had shot, so I sat next to him and picked up a bird and began to pluck it. The children and Tirian came out next and while the children gathered some of an edible weed, Tirian got some fuel for a fire.

Once this was going, we made up a stew for our breakfast with the poultry, the plant, and some of the hardened biscuits. Armor for Poggin was found and soon after we had all eaten, we sat on the steps and began to talk.