67. The Ape's Lies

Shifra's POV
Hastily with Tirian I began to cut the horse free. "Master Horse, Master Horse," Tirian began, "how came these aliens to enslave you? Is Narnia conquered? Has there been a battle?"

"No, sire," panted the horse, "Aslan is here. It's all on his orders. He has commanded..."

"Ware danger my King and Queen," Azar warned, noting the Calormens approaching us. Most had drawn swords. Tirian began to flee, but I grabbed hold of his arm.

"Tirian, if this is really Aslan how will running look?" I whispered. We were soon crowded my the Calormen soldiers who took Tirian's sword and one even hastily stole the golden circlet he wore on his head. Another stole the silver one from my head. We were then all grabbed and tied from behind. A man behind me grabbed hold of both my wrists forcefully, tiring the cords tight enough to cut into my skin.

A rope halter was put around Jewel's neck and Azar was shoved forcefully into a metal cage. We were led to a little stable on the top of a hill. In front of it sat an ape. An ill-fitting jacket sat on his shoulders and he wore shoes on his feet and a seemingly paper crown on his head. Reaching for a nut from a pile by his chair, he spat out some shells in our direction.

Several creatures sat in front of the ape and they seemed miserable. When they caught sight of who we were, a cry rose from the crowd. "O Lord Shift, mouthpiece of Aslan," the Chief Calormen greeted. "We bring you prisoners by our strength and courage and by permission of the great god Tash we have taken alive these four desperate murderers."

"Give me that man's sword," the ape commanded. I held my head high as I watched everything unfold. "We will see about them later. I've got some other business first." As the ape continued talking, we were led to the side. Tirian moved to be by my side. I rested my head against his shoulder and tried to listen without being infuriated.

A boar was talking, "But why can't we see Aslan properly and talk to him? In the old days anyone could see him and talk to him when he was here."

"Don't you believe it," the ape snapped, "and even if it was true, times have changed. Aslan says he's been far too soft with you before, do you see? He's going to lick you into shape this time." A soft whimpering broke out from the crowd. "And here's another thing you've got to learn. I hear some of you saying I'm an ape. Well I am not. I am a man. If I look like an ape it's because I'm so very old. Hundreds of years old."

"But," a small voice interrupted, "Queen Shifra is thousands of years old and she looks younger than King Tirian."

"Well that is another thing Aslan told me," the ape countered, thinking quickly, "Queen Shifra is not immortal. Her line simply all look the same so she fakes it." I brought my head up from Tirian's shoulder and raised an eyebrow at the ape.

An old bear asked, "But then why haven't i seen her age during my life?"

"Well everyone knows bears don't notice much," the ape retorted. I stepped forward to say something, but Tirian's soft voice stopped me.

"Wait, we'll learn more by listening," he whispered. Sighing, I drew back.

"...And it's because I'm so wise that I'm the only one Aslan will ever speak to. He can't be bothered talking to a lot of stupid animals. He'll tell me what you've got to do, and I'll tell the rest of you," the ape was saying. He continued explain Aslan's new plan for Narnia. As he continued to talk and talk the more I felt angry.

He explained how Aslan was sending everyone who could work to Calormen to work in the mines or as carting horses. But it was what the ape said next that brought me to the edge, "Now don't you start arguing, for that's a thing I can't stand. I'm a man, you're only a fat stupid old bear. What do you know about freedom? You think freedom means doing what you like, well you're wrong! That isn't true freedom. True freedom is doing what I tell you."