16. The Defeat of the Talmarines

Shifra's POV
An hour later, Glenstorm and Edmund were walking on the ground while I flew slowly up above. We all held green branches in our arms as they went. Edmund bore a different look than I had seen him with in a long time. I was the look of one who had been with Aslan recently, but he had such strength in his face that I felt very proud of him for some reason.

We soon were inside the tent and staring Miraz in the face. "What is this," he said, "to come here with green branches and with a scroll?"

Edmund spoke before I had a chance. "I am Edmund, King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, Knight of Narnia, and Emperor of the Lone Islands. To my left is Glenstorm the centaur and to my right is Shifra, General of Narnia, Lady of Cair Paravel, Second in Command to Aslan, and Goddess of the Sky and Light." I was slightly surprised at his mention of my being a goddess, but I instantly knew why. Miraz' eyes has instantly shot to me and I saw fear in them.

Before Edmund could continue, I said, "In case you were wondering, Miraz, yes it was me that you locked up five years ago. I am the 2,435 year old General and Goddess." The lords in the room seemed to gulp in fear and moved their eyes away from me.

Edmund and I shared a smirk before he read Peter's challenge. When he was done, Edmund handed the scroll to Miraz and we were shown to right outside the tent and given cakes and wine. I refused to eat or drink anything, but Edmund and Glenstorm nubbled at a few of the cakes and had a sip or two of the wine. I could hear the lords and Miraz arguing after Lord Sopespian and Lord Glozelle entered the tent.

I smirked at Edmund as we listened to them bicker and we could both now see what was going to happen. Soon after considerable yelling in the tent, Miraz himself stormed outside and was yelling about his acceptance to Edmund. I had to contain my laughter as we left the camp and returned to the How. Edmund had gone with Glenstorm and one of Miraz' captains to mark where the fight was the take place. When we returned, we were speaking about the marshalls of the lists.

"Unfortunately, Cas," I told him with sympathy using the little nickname I had started using, "you can't be one because it is your right to the throne that we are fighting about." Caspian nodded, smiling slightly at the nickname, despite the seriousness of the situation.

A bear was made one, for it was their right years and years ago. Glenstorm and myself were the other two marshalls. It was there that we now stood. The bear looked incredibly silly because he was sucking his paws, but Glenstorm and I more than made up for it. I was wearing the grandest of the outfits Aslan had given me over the years, as he continued doing every ten years or so giving me other things when he did not.

Glenstorm was perfectly still apart from the occasional stamp of his back hooves. I had my wings folded behind me, but they were so large that they were still clearly seen. I also had all of my twenty or so weapons on my person, although only my bow and arrows, my sword, and my long dagger was visible, but the expression on my face framed by my dark hair and my fierce golden eyes made me more than a little intimidating.

The lords across from Glenstorm and I looked at us with terror, but tried to hide that fear as Peter and Miraz came out to the area designated for the fight. They both bowed and exchanged words, but no one heard them. I watched the fight with interest. Peter was taking some hits, but so was Miraz. They were surprisingly well matched. The fight continued without incident until Lord Sopespian shouted his lies about treachery.

Glozelle killed Miraz as Peter was shouting for everyone to ready for battle. I flew forward and tackled Lord Sopespian to the ground and ended his life instantly with my now drawn sword. When I stood up, I let out a loud battle cry much like a bird's and flew into battle. Calling the winds to me, I swept the Telmarines off their feet and blinded them with light. I could not use my abilities is such a way for the rest of the battle for fear of harming a Narnian, but it gave us a good advantage.

Just as the armies had met, the Telmarines turned white with fear. I turned to see what the fuss was about and saw the trees. It had been over a thousand years since they had moved and all the Narnians cried out for joy at the sight of them walking again. The Telmarines ran to the river to try and cross the bridge, but it had been gone for over a day. I flew over the army and shouted, using the wind to carry my voice to all. "Now is the part were you choose to either surrender or die."

Every man dropped his sword in surrender. Soon I saw Aslan approach with an old woman on his back and Lucy and Susan running along side him. "Nurse!" I heard Caspian call out. They ran to greet one another and embraced. Grabbing his hand, I led Caspian to Aslan and we both bowed with Caspian kissing his paws.

"Welcome Prince," Aslan greeted Caspian, "Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingdom of Narnia?"

Caspian looked at me before turning back to Aslan and replying, "I...I don't think I do, Sir."

"Then that's proof that you are," I replied for Aslan. We were then interrupted by a small procession of mice. I tuned out the occurrence until I heard a voice say, "Well?" I looked up curiously. "I was wondering, Daughter of Eve, if you still wished to remain in Narnia after this adventure. You have lived now for almost two thousand and a half years. Have you changed your mind?"

"No, Aslan," I answered with a smile, "There is much more of Narnia I wish to see."

"Like what?" Peter asked.

I shared a knowing look with Aslan and replied, "Nothing that I can share at present. You know me well enough by now, High King, to know that I have much knowledge, but I also have much knowledge that I cannot share."

Peter nodded and turned to Caspian, "I'm going to give you two of the most important things to know as king of Narnia. The first and most important is this: Never forget Aslan. Remember that and you will always have good help, but the second will also greatly help you. Listen to Shifra and do not become frustrated with her when she refuses to tell you something, it is for the good of Narnia and this entire world." Caspian nodded and I smiled widely when they did the warriors greeting which I had taught to Caspian and Peter I had taught when he was in Narnia last. All was looking up for Narnia again.

Whisked AwayOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara