23. The Begining of an Adventure

Shifra's POV
We were enjoying our first day at sea  and I was more than happy. The crew were all lovely and I got to spend some time speaking with Reepicheep, who I had not spoken much with in the last three years. We also had with us Tavros, a minotaur who had fought with us during the war to reclaim Narnia.

That night there was much excitement and the crew all lay out blankets and slept on deck under the stars. Many stories were told and jokes cracked. I was asked to again tell of when Narnia was born and I told stories of the old king and queen, Frank and Helen. I told of their children and of the king and queens through the years of Archenland.

"Can you tell us of Cor and Corin?" one sailer, by the name of Rynelf, asked. I smiled at the thought and told every detail I could think of. Then Drinian was called upon to tell his stories and as I sat back down, he told us many tales. He was Caspian's first sailor and had been sailing for years. He was not born in Narnia, but was from Galma and so had been on the sea his whole life.

Soon everyone but Caspian and I had drifted to sleep. I had wrapped myself in my wings for warmth and Caspian was telling me stories from his childhood. "Once my uncle was trying to find me because I had been stealing cakes from the cook so I hid in the woods for a whole day to try and stay away form him," he told me, "but I eventually had to go back for more cakes and was caught." I laughed and moved to lay on his chest as he continued to talk.  It made me smile to think of when he was a boy, but soon I was asleep as well.

The next morning Drinian was the first awake, but Caspian and I soon followed. As the three of us started bustling about the crew began to get up as well. After everyone had eaten we continued to sail to Galma. When we landed and saw the Duke, he set up a great tournament for Caspian and we were there for a week, but soon enough we set sail again for Terebinthia. The next two days we had no wind and it was very hot. The entire crew had to take turns at the oars, even Caspian and Drinian.

I also took my turn at rowing. There was rather a fuss at this, but soon the crew learned as much as Caspian and Peter had to learn that I was stubborn. It was during these hot days that I finally cut my hair so that it now only came half-way down my back. It was more manageable this way and was now often braided and ran down my back. I spent as much time at the oars as any other crew member for while I did spend a lot of time trying to help Caspian run Narnia, my training was not left in the dust and I was still very strong.

I had just finished at the oars and was heading outside when I realized what an idiot I had been. I had just walked up to Caspian and I exclaimed, "Of course!"

"What?" he asked.

"I'm so stupid." I then flew into the air and caused wind to push the ship forward. I was already tired from rowing, but using my abilities did drain me. I used both my abilities and my strong wings to push the ship forward. When we had finally reached a wind that was coming from Cair Paravel I tumbled unto the deck, exhaustion filling me.

I felt someone pick me up as I fell asleep. When I came too I saw no light coming from outside as I usually did from my hammock so I assumed it must be night. I knew there was no use trying to sleep again so I stood up and nearly let out a small gasp, for I was sore all over. My wings and arms and legs all ached terribly when I stood, but I had felt like this before so I soon forgot about it as I made my way above deck.

I saw the night watch in their positions and greeted each of them by name and stood by the bow and looked out over the sea. It is very calming to watch as the water rises and falls in the sea and even nicer at night when the sun doesn't dazzle your eyes and create a glare on the water. I stayed there until light when the rest of the crew began to get up and eat. We were in good wind again and were only a few days sailing from Terebinthia.

Caspian joined me about an hour after the sun had started to show above the horizon. "I see your feeling better," he commented, taking my hand in his and softly kissing my temple. It was little bits of affection where other people could see us that made me really blush. I had always been a private person, but I found that I did not mind in the least.

"Very much so," I replied. He handed me an apple and we watched the waves as the day progressed. He somehow always knew if I had eaten or not, but I shrugged it off and assumed he asked.

"Where are you must looking forward to going?" Caspian asked. I was the only one who had made this journey before and I still remembered those voyages very fondly.

"The Lone Islands," I replied. Although I knew what was the happen there, I still wanted to see them again. "They were such beautiful places then and I hope they still are." Even though I loved being on this ship, I was started to get a little bit bored with being at sea. I longed for when Lucy and Edmund would come back. I missed my best friend.

Caspian had noticed my drop in mood and one night when we were sitting on the deck together, he asked, "Are you unhappy with me?"

I looked up at him in shock, "Casp, how could you ever think that? I love you and there is no one I would want to be with more."

While he looked relived at my words, Caspian still seemed to be bothered by something. I needn't have wondered for much longer for he then asked, "Then why do you seem sad? These passed two days you have been the saddest I have ever seen you."

I let out a small sigh and replied, "Well I guess this is the first time I have really gotten to think much since the coronation and I guess I just realized how much I miss them." Caspian nodded in understanding, but I saw hurt in his eyes. "I mean I love being here with you, that's what makes it all worthwhile, it is just that I miss them."

I saw the hurt in his eyes clear away and he replied, "I do as well. I hope we see them soon, but it was over a thousand years that they were gone before."

"I have a good feeling about this time," I replied with a smile. I felt hope return to me, filling my chest with a light, happy feeling.

"Shifra, why do you rarely use your powers?"

I thought a moment. I honestly was not completely sure why. "I don't know," I replied honestly, "Maybe I'm just worried that I will grow to rely on them too much, but I use my wings everyday. I'm not entirely sure." Caspian nodded and grabbed my hand. I rested my head on his shoulder as we stared out into the sea. I breathed in the salty air and let out a contented sigh.

I had not felt so at peace for a long time. I knew that Caspian missed the old kings and queens, but little did he know that I was counting down the days until they would show up. We now had sixteen days, but how long those days would be I could never have guessed.