57. Escaped only to be Caught

Zyanister's POV
When the afternoon came and most every giant was either napping or on the hunt with the king, we made our way into the kitchens where a little backdoor was located. I was the only door that wasn't guarded and soon we were only waiting for the giantess in the kitchen to go to sleep, but she pottered about and pottered about until it seemed she wasn't going to leave.

Jill, I saw, was examining the cookbook siting on the table, until she gently got all our attention, pointing to one of the entries. It read- MAN. This elegant little biped has long been valued as a delicacy...

I shared a sharp look with Zyan. Puddleglum pointed to the one right below it talking about Marsh-wiggles. "They were going to eat us," I muttered. Finally after a bit of time, the giantess fell asleep. Taking our chance, we all crept out. Looking at Jill and Eustace, Zyan and I were very glad we'd stuck to our own clothes, for they stuck out so much the worst archer in the world could have hit them.

We began to walk to the ruined city, feeling very tense and anxious. We had been getting on for perhaps ten minutes when behind us a hunting horn sounded. "Don't run," I said in a tense whisper. "They haven't seen us." Everyone did as I said, but soon giant voices rose. "Run!" I exclaimed. So we did. The giants grew nearer and nearer, but we ran as fast as we could, Puddleglum, Shifra, Zyan, and I easily outdistancing the other two.

Puddleglum was in front and he suddenly darted into a little hole. Shifra was in after him, then Zyan, and then myself. I watched as the other two jumped in. "Quick, quick, stones, fill up the opening," Puddleglum commanded. We did so, moving as fast as we could. Soon it was full, and not a moment too soon, for the moment it was filled, the sound of hunting hounds were heard on the other side.

"Get further in," Zyan urged. We all gripped hands and walked on. Zyan and I were in the front and before we knew it, our feet slipped. "Stop! Don't come any..." It was no use. Soon everyone was skidding. I could hear Shifra struggling with her wings, but it was far too cramped. She gave a cry of pain and soon simply gave up.

When we had made it to the bottom, we all were breathless. I could feel scratches and cuts all over me, but I soon rose to my feet. "Zyan, are you all right? Shifra? Puddleglum? Is anyone alright?" I asked shakily. I quickly got confirmation from everyone, even if the voices were small and a little shaken.

I was just looking for a way out when a voice asked, "What make you here, creatures of the Overworld?" It was a monotones voice that wasn't very loud, but filled the entire room.

Jumping back to my feet, I shouted, "Who are you!" Shifra lit up her hand, revealing the oddest creatures I'd ever seen. Some had long noses, others almost nonexistent ones. Some had tails, others had horns in the center of their heads. Only one thing tied them together, sadness covered every feature of their faces.

"Earthmen," Shifra whispered, "This is far too close to the crust for you. Why so close to the surface? Unless..."

"The Queen of the Deep Realm wishes to see you," the earthman, as Shifra called him, said in him monotones voice. "I am the Warden of the Marshes of the Underground."

"What does she want with us?" Eustace asked cautiously.

"I do not know," he admitted, "Her will is not to be questioned but obeyed." They lit their own light, lighting up the rest of the cavern. Shifra let her's die, but very cautiously. "Get up." Everyone who hadn't already, rose to their feet.

At that moment each of us heard Shifra's voice in our heads, saying, "Don't fight, just comply. Trust me." I was at the very back so I missed most of the conversation, but eventually we arrived at a boat. Many oars stuck out of the ship and when we had all sat down in the ship, it began to move.