5. The Magical Attack

Shifra's POV
The wind tugged gently on my feathers as I flew over the castle. It was mid-summer, but the chilly air made it hard to remember. All year it had been growing colder and colder, but we all assumed it was simply weird weather. I landed a little rougher on the ground than necessary and began to go into the castle when a cold hand on my shoulder stopped me.

With it, a blade tickled at my neck. "It's been so long, General."

Without turning to face her, I retorted icily, "How've you been Jadis? Oh wait, I forgot. I don't care."

"You've gotten fiery over the years, haven't you?" Jadis asked. A dwarf came over to us with a long chain and preceded to chain me at my wrists and ankles. I was then led to the throne room of King Dane and Queen Swanwhite, daughter of the famous Swamwhite who was dazzlingly beautiful. "Now that we're all here," the witch started, "why don't we carry on."

"Shifra!" Swamwhite cried out in her musical voice, so riddled with despair.

"I'm alright, Swan," I replied, my voice a little hoarse.

"Shut up!" the witch thundered. "Narnia is now mine. I shall rule over it now. I will hang all your bodies on the city gates to claim this place as mine, but this castle is no place for me. I shall build a new place." She moved over to Swan and caressed her pale cheek. "You thought I could leave this place as yours? No, this is mine now. And you." Here she turned to Dane. "Your thought I'd let you and your little wife govern the people who are rightfully mine?"

"They are not yours!" I exclaimed, struggling against those that held me and my chains.

"Shifra," Dane's deep, soothing voice warned, pleading with me to silence myself. At a signal from the witch, I was hit across the face, sending my flying to the floor.

"Why don't we have a little fun, hum?" Jadis asked, crouching over me, a blade in hand. She rested it against my throat, holding it perfectly steady until... "Oops," she faked, letting the knife slip, grazing my neck. Then she moved over to look at my arm. Placing the knife there also, she 'accidentally' let the knife slip, but I would not allow her to win so I made no sound.

Moving over to Dane, she cooed, "What do you think about death, hum?" He only fixed her with a steady gaze and said nothing. "How about now!" she shouted, swiftly drawing the knife across his throat, instantly killing him.

"Dane!" Swan shouted, her doe-like eyes filling with tears. "Dane! No! Please, love, don't leave me! Don't leave me! Dane!"

"Oh, my sweet," Jadis mocked, "You'll soon join him." With that her blade took another life.

"Swan!" I cried, finally tearing up for my two best friends. The witch moved over to me, but for she could do anything, a dwarf came in.

"A miniature of the king," she laughed, taking in the little boy before her.

"No! If you touch a hair on his head!" I screamed, fighting harder than ever.

"Godmother, what's happening!" he asked, clearly beginning to panic.

"Leave him alone! Take me! Kill me!"

"Oh I will," Jadis replied, dragging the boy over to me. Bending down, for I was still on the floor, she drew a long line along my throat, cutting my arteries and attempting to kill me.

"Godmother!" Darr screamed, pushing down on my throat to try and stop the bleeding. "No!"

"Your turn," the witch yelled, slicing his throat as well. Tears welted and poured from my eyes as I watched Darr bleed out before me. He was so young, so young. The witch cackled and left. I pulled myself to my feet and walked to the window, blood pouring out from my wound. Tear filled my eyes as I looked back at the bodies of my best friends and Godson. Taking a deep, shuttering breath, I turned back to the window and jumped out.

For a moment, a brief moment, I wondered what would happen if i didn't take flight, but reflexes kicked in and I flew off to the woods.