61. Zori

Shifra's POV
As the sun's rays crossed my face, my golden eyes snapped open. Pushing my blankets off my warmed body, I changed into a pair of black leather pants and a tight navy shirt with a v-neck and stopped just above my knee at it's lowest point on the far right, in a diagonal upwards. A black belt wrapped around my waist to hold my sword and a silver chain at my neck, hanging at my abdomen. A silver compass charm hung at the end with black lettering showing the different directions, even if the needle did not move as a real compass would.

I also wore my ring, which I learned much more about over the years. Not only could I get into people's mind and telepathically speak to them, I could alter their own thoughts and emotions. I could even do the same to myself.

I finally pulled on my black, knee-high boots and grabbed my weapons. My sword was slipped with its sheath into my belt and my quiver and bow at my back. My long dagger was strapped my right thigh by a strap and sheath. Two throwing knives went into my boots, two daggers in sheaths at my back in a cross so I could reach behind to grab them both. The rest of my throwing knives were hidden around my person.

With all my weapons in place, I went to breakfast with the King Erlian and his wife Queen Zofia. The two royals were already sitting at the table when I entered, but I saw that Queen Zofia was far from feeling well, as she appeared to be nauseous. King Erlian was looking at her with concern as she simply pushed her food around her plate.

I took my place next to the king and began my meal in silence. Turning to me, the king informed with his deep voice, "We need to plan for a trip to Calormen and try to figure out how to keep peace over this dispute that has broken out." I simply nodded and returned my attention to my toast.

After we had all finished, the three of us met in the throne room. "Shall I notify King Levi and Prince Levian that we are meeting?" I asked, referring to the kings of Archenland. He nodded and I left the room to find the brothers. When I reached their chambers, I had raised my hand to knock when the door was flung open. Lord Ali, a Narnian lord, stormed out of the room, barely giving me enough time to get out of his way.

The door was caught from slamming my King Levi. Dark circles ran under his eyes and he did not look fully put together, for his shirt was not fully done up, revealing his toned chest. He was still rather young, only in his mid-twenties, and had been ruling for coming on five years, but he was doing rather well for his age.

With a sigh, he looked me in the eyes and asked, "How are you, Godmother?"

"I'm well, Levi, but I think I should be posing you that question," I replied. Entering his chambers after him, I continued, "What stresses you so and causes your sleep to be stolen from you?"

Running a hand through his dark hair, Levi let out another sigh. Levian was in the room as well and advised, "Might as well tell her. She's going to find out anyways with how this is going."

"Lord Ali wishes to marry my sister Evelana, but she is but thirteen. Father made me promise that I would not bless her marriage until she is at least of age and loves whomever it might be, but this lord...he has something that might force my hand," Levi admitted.

"And what is that?" I asked, "What could he have to even make you consider doing such a thing to your own sister?"

"He has her Godmother," Levian explained, "He has Zori."

"What?" I asked, fear growing. "T-Then report him, tell Erlian! Have him get her back!"

"He said he would kill her if we told Erlian," Levi explained. Turning on my heal, I started to leave, but Levi grabbed hold of my wrist, "Where are you going?" I stopped and turned to face him, calming down my own emotions.