65. An Unexpected Turn

Shifra's POV
I found the others in good time and told them of Erlian's words. Levian and his wife and children all made their way to Narnia on the horses and we waited for Erlian. The battle was swift and soon Archenland was once again under the rule of King Levi and Queen Zori, but as I headed to congratulate them something happened. Something that made most wonder if I was alive or dead.

On the flight to Archenland, I suddenly felt the point of an arrow pierce my flesh and I knew no more. My head was pounding. That was my next remembrance. My head ached and I felt very nauseous. I opened my eyes to see a dark room before me. I tried to bring light forth, but nothing came. I struggled until a booming laughter filled the room. "Appears we found something to weaken you," the voice said, laughter still filling the room.

Another arrow was jabbed into my shoulder and I passed out once again. How many times this occurred I never knew, but it turned into a sort of cycle. I'd wake up, someone would eventually come in, and they'd hit me with another arrow. My sleep was dreamless so exactly how much time passed I would never know until later, but one day I escaped.

They had come in to hit me with another arrow when my body seemed to move on its own. I rose to my feet and walked out the palace, where I had been taken, and soon was facing the dessert just south of Archenland. My mind was hazy and I knew not what I was doing, but the hills of Narnia soon came into my sight. At the gates of Cair Paravel I collapsed.
.....................................
Erlian's POV
In the gardens of the castle I walked with my son, Tirian. We were now celebrating his twentieth birthday and had spent much of the day together. "Son," I began, "I just wanted to let you know that I'm proud of you. You have grown into a wise and strong man. I do not fear for Narnia when you take over."

"Thank you father," he replied, looking a little surprised, but very pleased at the complement. "But I fear I may never be ready." I could not help the smile that come to my face at my son. He reminded me of myself when I had a similar conversation with my father.

I brought him into a side hug and assured, "You will be a far greater king than I ever could." He opened his mouth to retort, but a shout from the courtyard caught both of our attention. Letting go of my son, I rushed toward it with him not far behind. He soon passed me for he was far younger than I.

"Father!" Tirian shouted as I came upon the crumpled figure of a winged woman.

I paled as I whispered, "Shifra." She was completely motionless and several arrow wounds covered her, none seemed to have been tended to. "Get her to the healers!" I shouted. Several people rushed forward including Tirian and, as he got there first, he picked her up bridal style and carried her into the castle.

As we watched the healers look after her, Tirian asked me, "Who is she Father?"

"She was my general for many years, but she disappeared suddenly. We looked for her many years, but eventually we assumed Aslan had called her away," I explained, "In the days of our ancestors, she was occasionally called away by the great lion. The longest time she was gone was during the reign of Caspian X."

Excitement filling his eyes, he asked, "Do you mean to say, Father, that this is the same Shifra who saw the world begin all those years ago?" I nodded gravely.

"Let us leave her to rest," I suggested and so we did.
..........................
Shifra's POV
The sun streaming across my face woke me from my slumbers. My body felt weak and sore all over, but I still struggled to my feet. I was not entirely sure where I was, but I attempted to stand only to begin to fall to the ground. Before I made contact with the ground, however, a pair of strong arms caught me in their firm yet gentle hold.

"Hey," the voice comforted, "You're safe now. No one here will harm you." I gazed curiously into his face, but did not recognize him.

"W-who," I began, my voice hoarse from lack of use.

"I am Prince Tirian of Narnia," the man replied, leading me to the bed I had woken up in. "I believe you know my father, King Erlian?"

"Yes," I croaked. "How long has it been?"

"You disappeared just before my birth and today marks twenty years since that day," Tirian explained. I felt my face fall, but I could already tell my energy was about spent. "Would you like some water?" I nodded and before he could return, I had drifted back off.
.............................
Tirian's POV
I returned to Shifra's side with a glass of water, but she was sleeping peacefully. As quietly as I could, I set the glass on a side table beside her and left the room. I tried to visit her at least once a day, but my father had gone off to war and I was acting as regent for him until his return. This meant my days were busy and full, but I was glad of the presences of my best friend: Jewel the Unicorn. He was a wise unicorn and a gentle beast, but could turn fierce with anger at a moment's notice.

His fur was whiter than salt and a gleaming horn came out of his forehead. When I entered the throne room Jewel was already waiting for me with a few other advisors. "What have we today, sirs?" I asked as curteously and kindly as my father had taught me.

"King Levi of Archenland is coming with Queen Zori and their son," one replied. "King Levi and his wife's usual chamber has been made up and one for their son as well."

After a pause and a nod from me, another of the older advisors said, "Sire, I think it best to tell you, in case you didn't know, that Queen Zori is the adopted daughter of General Shifra and King Levi is her Godson. You might want to think of how to tell them that she is here."

"Thank you, Agraphorth," I thanked, "Will will the King, Queen, and Prince be here?"

"About now," a voice behind me stated. I turned and saw Prince Cor, named for the great king of Archenland from ages past.

"Cor!" I exclaimed, walking forward and embracing my old friend. King Levi and his wife followed behind. "It is an honor to see you both once again," I added to the King and Queen with a slight bow of my head.

"The honor is all ours," King Levi replied. He was a wise and just king coming into his mid forties and his wife was similar in age. "Will you father be joining us as well?"

"I'm sad to say that he had to ride off to handle a problem with some giants up north. I new group that we unfortunately have no control over. My hope is that he is soon to return," I replied. "Now on another matter, their is something I wish to discuss with your majesties." All three inclined their heads and I could not think of words. "Here it is far better to show instead of speak. I know not how to tell you."

Sharing a confused glance, all three followed behind me as I led them to the infirmary. I glanced in without allowing the others to see and found that Shifra was up and sharpening a set of throwing knives. Turning back to the Archenland Royals, I said softly, "This might come as a bit of a shock." King Levi looked rather uncertain and Queen Zori looked rather frightened.

I began to push the door before the queen exclaimed, "Wait! Tell us first...is it good or bad?"

"Well, I would say the former, but I'm not in the same situation," I replied. Then I pushed open the door and while Cor simply looked confused, the other two royals were dumbstruck.

"M-Mother," Queen Zori whispered at the same time King Levi muttered, "Godmother?" Shifra looked up and seemed equally as surprised to see them. Setting down the blade she had been working on, she tried to stand up only to begin to fall once again. I rushed forward to steady her.

Her voice hoarse and weak, she said, "My daughter, my godson. I-I'm sorry I was gone so long." Both rushed forward and embraced her. I left them alone and shut the door behind me,