11. A Trip to Archenland and to Tashban

Shifra's POV
That very night I flew off to Archenland to the palace of King Lune. He and his son Corin were used to my late night visits so it was no great surprise to them when I landed in their courtyard. Corin was fighting someone, like usual so I broke up the fight by picking both boys up and holding them in the air with my ability.

"What the..." the other boy started.

"General Shifra!" Corin exclaimed excitedly.

"Corin," I scolded, but only half-heartedly, "I've told you to put an end to all this fighting." He just shrugged as I put him and the other boy down. "Off you get," I told the other boy. Corin rushed to me and gave me a big hug when I had let him down and we walked arm in arm into the palace.

"I'm not sure where father is, but he's probably awake," Corin answered my unasked but pondered question. I nodded and began to walk around trying to find him, Corin still by my side. "What is wrong, Shifra? You have hardly spoken and you look worried. Did something happen with those Calormens?" Corin asked.

I turned to him and answered honestly, "No, but the giants in the north are causing trouble, but Susan, Edmund, and I are going to Calormen and wanted to take you with us." Corin was beyond excited and only quieted when we finally found his father pouring over a stack of books. King Lune was a wise and kind king and I had been very close with his mother and father, for during those years of nothing I often went to Archenland to visit.

When he heard us enter, King Lune stood and greeted me. "Godmother," he exclaimed with joy, "It has been too long." I smiled as well. I had watched Lune grow from an infant to a king and watched as his heart broke when he lost his eldest child, Cor and later on, his wife. I was technically Cor and Corin's godmother as well, but Corin had always just called me Shifra. "What brings you here at such a late hour?" Lune asked.

"I assume you are aware of the Calorimes who passed through your land?" He nodded, "Well Rabadash, eldest son of the accursed Tisroc, was the leader of them. He wishes to court Queen Susan. He asked us all to come back to Calormen with him and Edmund and I as well as Susan are going. I believe it would be a good chance for Corin to see how foreign work and relations are handled and have come to ask your permission for Corin to come with us on this journey."

"I agree that it would be a good experience," agreed King Lune, "and Corin, is this something you would like to do?" Corin nodded enthusiastically. "Very well," he conceded with a smile, "you have my permission." I smiled and told Corin he should probably figure out what he would need.

When Corin had left, Lune turned back to me and asked, "Godmother, was there something else?"

"Yes, the giants are stirring up trouble in the north. Peter is going to be heading up there in two days time, but I fear we lack some of the soldiers needed. All I ask is for five hundred soldiers."

"Of course," Lune replied. "They can ride out with you at dawn, now why don't you go to the guest room and get some sleep before the return flight tomorrow?" I nodded and left him to whatever he had been up to before my arrival.

The morning dawned clear and fresh as I flew out with the small Archenland army. We were little more than a mile from the castle now and coming closer every moment, but I did not want Rabadash to see the army. I ordered for them to make camp far north of the caste and not to be seen by anyone if they could help it. They followed my command and I was soon alone with Corin.

We had just come into the palace courtyard when Rabadash himself walked out. I pulled Corin behind me and we all ate breakfast with the kings and queens, all of whom gave Corin a warm greeting. The next day Peter set out with most of our army to meet the small Archenland army and move on to the north. Rabadash rode out the same day to ride back to Tashban with the promise that we would set sail in the coming week.

Soon we had boarded the ship, the Splendour Hyaline, filled with our stores for the trip. When we had made dock, we were shown through the city of Tashban and to a house with a small courtyard and a fountain in the center. We had all settled in and were enjoying time to ourselves before having to be with his majesty for the rest of the two week planned stay.