6. Narnia Under the Witch

Shifra's POV
Many years passed on from those happy times I had experience since I was a general and trusted councilor. I now was forced to live in hiding, locked in with my memories of that cursed day which I drove fiercely from my thoughts. My life had become reduced to hiding in a cave. A few Narnians were still loyal to me and to Aslan and they were my friends. They were the ones who brought me food and water and who also brought me news.

Not that there was much to tell and what they did tell me was nothing I did not already know from my previous knowledge. I had little to do during the day so I mostly read the books the fawns and a few dwarfs managed to find for me. I also kept in shape for I did not want the hundred years to lead to me losing my skills with my weapons.

I had quite a few that I carried with me daily. I had my sword with was a beautiful silver sword crafted by the same group of dwarves who make Queen Helen and King Frank's crowns. I also had ten throwing knives that were hidden among my clothes and a beautiful bow. The bow had been crafted by a sweet little Dryad out of bamboo. The arrows were made of a light metal and I had made over a hundred that somehow fit into my quiver. It had been a gift from Aslan.

Then there was Aslan himself. I had not seen him apart from a few times when he helped Frank and Helen set up their kingdom and then he was gone, but every year on my birthday I would find a gift from him. Sometimes it was little things like food from my own world that I slightly missed, but other times it would be something bigger like my quiver and my dagger which I hid in my boot. Another time he gave me a hunting outfit which had tons of little pockets for all of my weapons. I got another just like it every year after that and it changed as I found more weapons until I had with me close to twenty weapons and it was still light as air.

The outfit would also hold off a blade for once when I accidentally hit myself with the sword it stopped right as it hit the material. I counted off the years as they came and went and soon there were only three years left until Lucy came. I had started to come out of my cave now for we had received information that the witch believed me dead and that I had been lying when I insinuated that I lived forever so it was now safe to venture out, although I still do so with extreme caution.

Soon there were only two years. Then one. This was the longest year of them all, for I was not sure exactly when Lucy would come so I spent all of my time at the lamp post, waiting and watching. I was always on high alert and waited in one of the trees. I had learned how to bend the air and light around me in such a way that no one could see me and it came in handy as I was staking out this lamp post.

It was there that I was heading now, walking through the snow and using my manipulation of wind to cover my foot prints. As I arrived at my normal tree, I flew silently up and used my long wings to grip the tree, leaving my arms to hold a weapon if need be. I waited for hours and hours and soon became nothing more than a pair of eyes and hears.

A crunch of snow broke the long silence. It came from left side of the lamp post, from my point of view, and I saw a girl who was only about eight years old. Lucy had been standing there for a few moments when I heard the sound of a fawn walking through the snow. When he caught sight of Lucy, he exclaimed in surprise, "Goodness gracious me," dropping all of his packages of he did so.

I needed to see no more. It had started. I silently flew off, taking more care than usual to ensure no one heard me, especially Lucy and the fawn. As I said before I had learned how to do a great many things with my abilities and aside from rendering myself invisible, I also had learned to make my flying completely silent and undetectable. All I had to do was to hold myself up with air and only glide with my wings and make light fall down below me so I did not have any kind of shadow.

When I arrived back home I found the door open. Bloody hell. Cautiously, I poked my head into the cave, still hidden from anyone's sight. I saw the witch in my home. I was glad now that I always packed for a journey as if I was never coming back. The witch was with Maugrim, the captain of the witch's secret police. They were holding a quiet conversation, but I could still pick up on it.

"She must have lived here before she died," the witch was saying.

The wolf looked skeptical, "I don't know your majesty, the scent is fresh."

"When would you say she was last here?"

"No later than this morning," was the reply. The witch was lost in thought.

"Then the only conclusion is," the witch said, raising her volume, "she is still alive and there may have been some truth in those words." Confusion crossed the wolf's face, but he seemed to know better than to ask. Before I could hear anymore the witch began to walk toward me so I flew off. I had everything with me, my weapons, my clothes, and enough food to last me a week if I rationed it and did not do much hard flying.

I sighed, that was not enough. Who could I now trust? The only thing for it was the track the children and wait, hoping my food lasts long enough for what awaits me.

Whisked AwayOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara