37. A Magic Book

Shifra's POV
The next morning, I woke up to the sound of birds chirping and bees buzzing. Caspian was still asleep next to me so I quietly got up, dressed and made my way out to the kitchen. I found bread and cheese in the ice box and pulled them out and made a very pleasant meal for myself. Caspian was the next one up and after we had spoken a little, I said, "I can't bare waiting about, do you think the others would mind much if I just went on?"

The Chief had already given me instructions so there was little reason for me to stay. "I suppose not," Caspian replied softly.

"I'll be alright," I told him softly. I gently pecked him on the lips and pulled away slowly. "I love you."

"I love you too," he replied, a sort of desperate look in his eyes. I backed away, slowly pulling from his hand and walked up the stairs.

"The last doorway on the left," I muttered quietly. It was so quiet that it felt wrong to make any noise, but the carpet on the floor was so thick I couldn't have even if I tried. There were odd masks and signs over the doors and walls, but I tried not to pay attention to them. When I had at last gotten to the door I was supposed to enter, I saw that it had three windows and was full of books.

In the center of the room was a reading desk with a large book laying on it. I undid the two clasps and opened it to see that it was all hand written and beautifully colored on most of the pages. There were spells for all kind of things from getting rid of wart to being about to tell if one was telling the truth. I tried not to spare any thought to that last one, but I wondered if I could just try it. The gold on the page from another spell reminded me of Aslan and I turned the page without a second's thought.

The next spell read. 'A spell to learn of ones full ancestry.' My breaths had turned shaky and I had to swallow a large lump that had come in my throat. I had never known my parents. I knew not who they were, but could I maybe... Would doing one spell really hurt? My entire body was shaking now, for everything in me was pleading with me to find out who they are, but another part was telling me to leave it be. Finally, I started to read the spell, but as I did the face of Caspian crossed my mind. He was all I needed. I slammed the page down so I could not see it and moved on.

As I continued to turn the pages I found a spell that was for 'Gaining Eternal Knowledge.' I paused in the act of turning the page. Shaking my head, I turned the page before my mind could be changed. Then I had at long last made it to the spell to make the unseen seen. When I had said it, heavy footfalls could be heard from the hallway. I drew my sword as quickly and as quietly as I could and faced the doorway.

When I saw who it was, I instantly sheathed my sword and ran to him. "Aslan!" After I had embraced him, I proceeded, "Oh, Aslan, it was kind of you to come."

"I have been here all the time," said he, "but you have just made me visible."

"Oh," I replied softly.

"Child, that book tempted you in ways you never have been tempted before. Knowledge and family. The two things you love most," Aslan said, "If you wanted to hear about your parents you could have just asked, you live in the same world as them after all."

"What?" I asked, "Who?"

After a small pause, Aslan explained, "Your parents were humans who found their way into Narnia, but they did so much differently than you. Your mother was from another world different from Narnia and the world of the kings and queens of old. Your father was from that same world. They were great magicians and while your mother died in childbirth you father, lives in this very house."

"The magician?" I breathed. Aslan nodded his great head and began to lead me through the house. When we had left the hall, we were met with an old man in a red robe who was walking barefoot and supported himself with a cane. A chaplet of oak leaves ran around his white head and his long beard flowed to his waist.